Senior Research Associate (Sample Management) - 81371
Organization: JG-Joint Genome Institute
Berkeley Lab is Bringing Science Solutions to the World, and YOU can be a part of it!
The Department of Energy (DOE) Joint Genome Institute (JGI) offers a unique opportunity to work with DNA and RNA samples from plants, fungal, microbial, and environment for downstream applications. The role is responsible for receiving, accessioning, evaluating, and preparing aliquots of DNA/RNA samples.
Under general supervision, the Senior Research Associate (Sample Management) will be responsible for receiving, accessioning, evaluating, and preparing aliquots of DNA and RNA samples from plants, fungal, microbial, and environment for downstream applications. This position reports to the Sample Management group Lead.
• Solid molecular biology understanding of next generation sequencing sample preparation requirements and associated applications.
• Strong working knowledge on DNA/RNA extraction and quality evaluation methods for various organisms.
• Perform work assignments related to the sample acquisition process including receiving and tracking, evaluation of sample quantity and quality, aliquot making and sample shipment.
• Perform DNA/RNA extraction for model organisms used in technology development.
• Operate automated robotics equipment for high-throughput sample processing, including maintenance.
• Develop efficient and streamlined automated workflow with the supports from Instrumentation Group.
• Participate in process optimization, improvement and validation as well as troubleshooting failures
• Maintain an accurate and detailed documentation for all evaluations.
• Write standard operating procedures (SOPs) and cross-train team members.
Additional desired responsibilities:
• Maintain a clean and safe working environment.
• Contribute to data, text in group publications.
• Assist group members in performing new molecular biology experiments and protocols.
• Research articles and literature to explore new techniques or applications.