Senior Research Associate (Next Generation Sequencing Support) - 80404
The Department of Energy (DOE) Joint Genome Institute (JGI) has an immediate opportunity to perform production and research assignments, data analysis and interpretation related to various technology in next generation sequencing (NGS) library construction and tasks. The work will meet the goals of the large-scale genome, transcriptome and epigenome characterization effort. Tasks involve evaluation of sample quality, library construction, library quality evaluation and submission using JGI LIMS systems. Will be responsible for understanding the latest sequencing technology, support or lead new technology development, integrate new protocols onto JGI sequencing platforms. Will also interpret sequencing QC (quality control) reports, analyze sequencing data, troubleshoot process failures and participate in optimization of protocols. Emphasis will be placed on research and development (R&D) experiments as well as meeting the library production goals.
• Perform work assignments related to library production; evaluate sample quality, create various types of libraries from samples (DNA, RNA or chromatin) from JGI users’ including prokaryote, eukaryote organisms, and environmental samples.
• Participate in technology development projects to support scientific research.
• Independently design and execute experiments, analyze and interpret results, summarize and conclude data in presentable format.
• Understand and interpret sequencing QC results, identify library failure, propose solution and implement modifications.
• Investigate library preparation issues relating to production needs, identify areas of improvement and offer feedback.
• Troubleshoot & optimize current library construction protocols to meet scientific research goals.
• Assist in project coordination with project management.
• Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook and ensure accurate data entry into ITS/ GLS LIMS system.
• Write, update and maintain standard operating procedures.
• Prepare progress reports, attend and present project progress in group meetings.
• May maintain a clean and safe working environment.
• May contribute to data, text and conclusions in group publications.
• May assist in training staff to perform new molecular biology experiments and protocols.
• May research articles and literature to explore new techniques or applications.