The Senior Research Assistant, under general supervision of the GEC core facility directors, carries out independently the daily activities of the core facility.
- Derives fibroblasts from skin biopsies.
- Derives, maintains, validates, distributes and maintains accurate records of use of induced pluripotent stem cell lines.
- Performs microbiological screening of iPSC lines
- Performs gene-editing services, including CRISPR/Cas9 mediated genome modification of iPSCs and other cell lines.
- Characterizes new lines by standard molecular biological techniques (including DNA and RNA extraction, PCR, RT-PCR), by immunophenotypic analysis (including cytostaining and flow cytometry) and by functional assays (in vitro and in vivo differentiation).
- Performs quality control of cell lines.
- Instructs others in basic laboratory and tissue culture techniques and iPS- and gene editing-specific technologies, including the organization and teaching of training workshops for researchers interested in learning techniques relevant to iPSC derivation, culture and gene-editing.
- Performs related laboratory maintenance and management, including maintaining and cleaning equipment, interfacing with vendors, ordering and keeping an adequate inventory of laboratory supplies, tracking core usage and invoicing participating laboratories.
- Assists in the preparation of progress reports, grant applications, and manuscripts relevant to the core’s activities.