Job Title: Senior Product Manager
Reports to: Associate Director or higher
FLSA Class: Exempt
Introduction to Job Post:
The Senior Product Manager is responsible for developing and communicating a strategic plan and then managing the products through the product lifecycle for part of our portfolio of NGS sequencing products. This includes working with R&D to set specifications to guide product development, estimating market opportunity and competitive positioning; developing and implementing launch plans that include a wide variety and complexity promotional activities, delivering training to worldwide sales team to guide sales activities; working with operations team to ensure that product availability meets market expectations. The Senior Product Manager leads planning activities for NGS reagent products that includes but is not limited to recommending pricing changes, analyzing competitive position, forecast sales for the coming year and developing a marketing plan for their area of responsibility.
The Senior Product Manager reports to the Associate Director or higher within Marketing and is responsible for working relatively independently to set priorities and schedule work. It is expected that the Senior Product Manager receives only broad guidance on priorities and processes and recommends to supervisor strategy development.
The Senior Product Manager role is office-based.
Approximately 30% travel, including overnight, and some international travel may be required.
- Be part of a team that develops a strategic plan for NGS reagent products and manage product lines to the strategic plan through the entire product life cycle. This includes conducting market research, defining product for unmet needs, setting product specifications, product launch and retiring products when necessary.
- Develop a strategic marketing plan and implement tactical programs for successful product launches for our NGS product portfolio; develop and implement comprehensive product launch plans. Develop annual business and marketing plans for managed product lines, responsible for implementing tactical marketing plans and jointly responsible with sales team for achieving annual sales plan. Keep a comprehensive list of competitors and their strategies as it relates to NGS reagents. Make recommendations for pricing and promotional plans to be included in the annual budget.
- Analyze market opportunities and customer needs related to NGS and to define opportunities for existing products and developing market needs that could lead to new product lines. Create product specifications that provide direction to R&D to help formulate new product ideas. Identify potential financial rewards and competitive strategies. Collaborate with R&D to ensure that products being developed are targeted to customer needs to meet identified opportunities. Make complex specification trade-offs as necessary.
- Ensure that products managed may be found by customers who are searching for products or applications and that web content is informative and aids customers in making purchase decisions. Conduct multi-layered outbound marketing campaigns that create demand, develop leads for sales team and establish opportunities in new market areas.
- Develop and implement comprehensive product launch campaigns that include specification sheets, competitive matrices, sales support material including customer facing presentations and training materials for customers, sales, and distributors. Collaborate with Marketing Communications to launch and promote products. Provide direction to sales team on sales strategies. Conduct sales training as necessary.
- Conduct annual product line reviews as necessary that summarizes market conditions, sales performance, market analysis including SWOT, BCG, etc., competitor activity, strategic alternatives and recommended strategies with clear reasoning as to how we can be successful and provide strategic direction to the product line. Conduct post 6-month launch reviews for key products that clearly identifies necessary remedial action.
- Work with Operations to ensure consistent product availability and quality, minimize scrap and other inventory costs.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key opinion leaders to understand and influence market development, key customers to understand how well we are meeting their needs and distributors; visit key customers attend trade shows and other customer events.
- This position may have supervisory responsibilities.
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- Requires a BA, BS degree; MS, PhD a big plus.
- Several years’ experience marketing and working with an R&D team related to Next Generation Sequencing reagent products is highly desired.
- Requires a minimum of 5 years of career growth in a product marketing role or equivalent.
- Excellent presentation, written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Microsoft Office skills are needed.
- Must be detail-oriented and have strong organizational and time management skills.
- The ability to work independently and creatively is required.
AAP/EEO Statement:Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.