Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. We are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives.
Senior Process Engineer is part of the Illumina engineering team creating new industry-leading genetic analysis platforms for life sciences and clinical markets. In this position, you will be responsible for the development and commercialization of novel consumable products for genetic applications. The job includes working closely with cross-functional teams, equipment vendors, foundries, and contract manufacturers to meet performance, reliability, yield, and cost objectives of product development.
- Lead or contribute to development cycles of new consumable products, including process definition, process development, equipment optimization, and metrology
- Define product-level specifications and requirements, and translate them to critical parameter management at a physical level in the process
- Implement model systems to reduce cycles of learning and time of process development
- Work with equipment vendors and foundries on requirement management, specification control, and prototyping of novel process workflow
- Work with cross-functional teams to scale prototype processes to pilot and production scale.
- Define and implement process controls, in-line monitoring, and metrology for QA
- Deep dive on failure analysis and lead both short term containment and permanent solutions
- Data analysis of trends in yield and performance tied to process work flow; provide guidance on yield improvement and cost reduction over time
- Mentor others in the related areas of process work flow
Required Skills & Experience
- Master’s degree or PhD in Materials Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, or related technical field with a strong emphasis on manufacturing and process development
- 8+ years of hands-on experience in process development and integration of manufacturing operations
- Experienced in the development and ramp to production of novel manufacturing processes
- Experienced in a range of device assembly manufacturing techniques with a particular attention to microfluidic devices, plastic joining techniques, liquid handling, and adhesive bonding
- Additional experience with wafer level processes including wafer bonding is appreciated
- Hands-on experience working with and optimizing automated manufacturing equipment
- Experience with micro-electronics and MEMS package level assembly techniques a plus
- Experience with implementation of lean manufacturing concepts a plus
- Ability to design DOEs and execute complex process experiments and statistical analysis
- Ability to effectively work with engineers and scientists to diagnose and fix yield and process quality issues
- Ability to relate basic material, physical characteristics, and fabrication variations to performance
- Strong interdepartmental communication skills required
- Collaborates, builds relationships and influences team members to work toward common goals
- Excellent written and oral communication and experienced presentation skills
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.
Illumina is improving human health by unlocking the power of the genome. Our focus on innovation has established us as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies, serving customers in the research, clinical and applied markets. Our products are used for applications in the life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging segments. To learn more, visit www.illumina.com and follow @illumina.
We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Our revenue grew from $10 million in 2002 to approximately $2.4 billion in 2016. Our growth isn’t just revenue, we’ve been hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its “World’s Smartest Companies” list each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you – imagine the possibilities.