Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
The candidate will have responsibility for directing preclinical oncology drug development programs and translational medicine correlative studies in Immune Oncology. The successful candidate will work directly with corporate partners, cross-functional teams and project teams to support preclinical and clinical programs.
- Provide in-depth scientific expertise and oversight in the areas of immunology, immune oncology, and/or tumor biology
- Manage, develop and mentor scientific staff in design and execution of experiments to evaluate immune oncology drug candidates including drug candidate screening, lead optimization, mechanism of action, preclinical proof of concept studies, biomarker development and translational studies
- Develop and execute research plans to address complex scientific questions
- Develop scientific strategy for evaluating drug candidate in preclinical immune oncology assays and models
- Lead internal projects in immune oncology drug development
- Serve on internal project teams and committees as scientific functional lead
- Work closely with corporate partners to support preclinical, translational and clinical development of cancer therapeutics.
- Manage external collaborations with academic and contract research laboratories
- Evaluate and perform due diligence of research programs and technologies
- Design and implement in-vitro and ex-vivo assays for evaluating activity and mechanism of action of immune oncology drug candidates using key immune cell populations
- Develop and implement strategies to translate preclinical data into clinical biomarkers for advancing drug candidates through clinical trials
- Critically analyze, interpret, report experimental results; provide insights into research strategies
- Supervise and mentor Associate Scientist(s) and/or Research Associate(s)
- Lead Immune Oncology team meetings, provide scientific guidance and critical analysis of data
- Develop and maintain working relationship with contract laboratories and relevant academic collaborators
- Lead the Immune Oncology group in maintaining current awareness in area of expertise; enhance the scientific credibility of Celgene through contributions to the scientific literature (publications/presentations)
- Responsible for authorship of non-clinical pharmacology study reports, invention disclosures, sections of investigator brochures, IND applications, regulatory annual reports, and other regulatory documents
- Ph.D. degree in immunology, tumor biology or cellular biology with at least 3 years of successful post-doctoral experience, evidenced by a strong publication record, plus a minimum of 10 years of successful experience as a scientist preferably in the biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry setting
- In depth experience designing and developing primary immune cell assays for drug candidate evaluation and in-depth understanding of immunologic signaling pathways
- Expert in scientific research strategies and methods related to biomarker development and patient stratification
- Experience with biotherapeutic and/or small molecule drug development from discovery to IND
- Ability to design in vivo studies with direct translation to drug development, patient stratification and disease indication
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills demonstrated in a team environment
- Excellent team building and teamwork skills and ability to interact with and manage research scientists, project teams, outside collaborators and commercial vendors
- Extensive experience with supervision and mentoring of laboratory scientific staff
- Experience with evaluation and due diligence of research programs and technologies
- Detail-oriented with the ability to identify and implement creative solutions
- Ability to prioritize and manage time efficiently
- Extensive experience with clinical research and an understanding of the research process, validation, and regulations that apply to clinical investigations and laboratory studies that support regulatory submissions is also highly desirable
Organizational/Judgement: The incumbent must have planning skills for scheduling experimental studies to meet project team deadlines. The position requires problem solving ability and skills in resolving technical questions in a multi-disciplinary environment. The incumbent must keep abreast of current techniques within the field and the various scientific areas affecting normal and tumor cell growth.
Supervision: Direct & Indirect: Supervises internal research staff as required.
Accountability: The position is responsible for planning and executing research plans in the defined area of investigation. This position has responsibility for the quality, quantity, timeliness, and scientific acceptability of drug discovery activities that result in reports that are required for internal decision-making.
- PhD in life sciences or medical sciences, and a minimum 3 years post-doctoral experience, plus 2 years of directly relevant biotechnology or pharmaceutical industry experience.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.
Req ID: 15001975
Primary Location: United States-Washington-Seattle
Job: Research and Development
Organization: Celgene Corporation
Employee Status: Individual Contributor
Job Type: Full-time
Job Level: Day Job
Job Posting: 2015-10-28 00:00:00.0
Biology, Biotech, Clinical Research, Engineering, Healthcare, Immunology, Laboratory, Law, Legal, Medical, Medical Research, Oncology, Pharmaceutical, R&D, Research, Research Scientist, Science, Scientific, Scientist, Senior Scientist, Technology, Telecom, Telecommunications