This is an advanced research training role, building on their prior experience as a Post-Doctoral Researcher in UCC or elsewhere, where you will conduct a specified programme of research and research training under the guidance of a Principal Investigator. The primary purpose of the role is to deliver research results and objectives, develop new or advanced research skills and competencies, the successful development of funding proposals and to interact in the supervision and mentorship of graduate students, in conjunction with an academic supervisor.
The Post-Doctoral/Senior Post-Doctoral phase has an expected duration up to a maximum of 6 years, subject to the term of the project, on a full-time or part-time basis. Movement to the grade of Senior Post-Doctoral researcher in the University will be by competing for an advertised post. External appointments made directly to Senior Post-Doctoral research positions must have previous post-doctoral experience of at least 3 years.
Key duties and responsibilities
- To conduct and lead a specified programme of research under the supervision and direction of a Principal Investigator/Project Leader.
- To secure competitive research funding for research proposals
- To engage in appropriate and professional development opportunities as required by your Principal Investigator, School or College.
- To assume a role in the design as well as the execution of research, contributing significantly to the development of research proposals and funding successes.
- To support the Principal Investigator and research group in the design and development of a research programme.
- To engage in the dissemination of the results of the research, as directed by and with the support of and under the supervision of the Principal Investigator.
- To engage in the wider research activities of the Research Group, School or College.
- To interact closely with postgraduate research students who are studying for a Masters or a PhD and have an agreed role in supporting these students in their day to day research in conjunction with the supervisor or supervision team.
- To conduct administrative and management work associated with the research project.
- To carry out any additional duties as may reasonably be required within the general scope and level of the post.
- To engage in costing research grant proposals and take on financial management of projects.