Basepaws is a pet genetics startup located at LABioMed in Torrance, CA. We focus on the use of high throughput sequencing methods, computational biology, systems biology, and machine learning to identify novel genetic factors that may influence a pet's health. We have substantial outreach efforts to both wildlife conservation and sponsoring of genetic testing for sick cats and dogs. We are building the largest, most comprehensive pet genotypic and phenotypic data repository in the world, and this database offers new avenues for discoveries in pet health, nutrition, breed identification, and more. This exciting role is an opportunity to join us early in the creation of this powerful new resource.
As this is a very hands-on laboratory start-up, only LOCAL candidates will be considered, please.
We are currently seeking an early career scientist for a Senior NGS Laboratory Scientist position at LABioMed in Torrance, CA. The Senior Laboratory Technician will be responsible for contributing to the development and optimization of laboratory automation methods for high throughput sample handling and DNA extraction protocols, and next-generation sequencing library preparation methods. Experience with molecular methods development, product commercialization, and/or NGS assay optimization is required.
The ideal candidate will have experience developing and/or optimizing methods for high-throughput DNA extraction and NGS library prep, with a strong molecular biology background, excellent oral and written communication skills, and the ability to troubleshoot and redesign experiments to achieve assay performance targets and development timelines.
As a Senior Laboratory Scientist, you have the opportunity to create new protocols and automated workflows for high-volume, high-throughput sample processing for NGS while working in a fast-paced startup environment. You will interact with scientific and executive teams to guide the company and make significant contributions to product development. You will also have an opportunity to interact with pet owners, veterinarians, and other leaders in the field of pet genomics to develop novel DNA collection and interrogation methods that satisfy their diverse needs. There are numerous avenues for advancement within the company for high performing individuals, and you can become a leader in the field of pet genomics and contribute to an underfunded research area.
We have a strong preference for individuals that are creative and curious about what is currently an understudied field.
- BS or Masters in Molecular Biology or related fields
- At least 4 years experience with assay development and/or NGS library preparation
- Desire to work with cats and dogs, including working with hair, saliva, or other sources of DNA (potential allergens)
- Next Generation Sequencing and library prep: experience with high volume or challenging sample types is strongly preferred; experience with Illumina sequencing chemistry is required
- DNA extraction and QC: ability to follow protocols, pipette small volumes of precious samples with precision and accuracy, recover high quality genomic DNA, and determine concentration and integrity through different fluorimetric and electrophoretic methods
- Assay development: experience developing methods from raw components, buffers, enzymes, dNTPs, designing oligos, optimizing annealing conditions, etc. instead of just using commercial kits is strongly preferred; experience with PCR, molecular cloning, DNA shearing, adapter ligation/purification, and gel analysis is required.
- Documentation: experience with writing protocols, keeping organized lab notebooks, preparing detailed scientific presentations for lab meetings, and training other staff on protocols is strongly preferred
- Receive, process, and organize customers' samples and enter results into database
- Support the Senior Scientist by following protocols for DNA preps, quality control, and NGS library prep for routine sample processing
- Design and conduct R&D experiments to improve methods or create new ones
- Summarize results and conclusions and present findings to scientific and executive staff
- Support team who operates and maintains necessary analytical instrumentation, including sample grinders, balances, centrifuges, spectrophotometers, liquid handlers and other equipment associated with molecular and biological analysis
- Desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment
- Able to work without supervision and able to make critical decisions such as purchasing and experimental design