The Senior Network Engineer will report to the Director, Enterprise Computing. This position is responsible for providing engineering and operational support for NYGC’s network environment. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, support for routing, switching, wireless, wired & wireless access layers, WAN, network monitoring, VoIP, project implementation, and the 24 x 7 support of the network infrastructure. The Senior Network Engineer will also be responsible for the architecture, design, and overall ownership of the network infrastructure. This position is responsible for developing standard operating procedures (SOP’s) and training other team members on the overall operational support.
This position will require hands on knowledge of LAN/WAN networking and devices as well as operating systems and server technologies. The candidate must have a thorough knowledge of industry hardware types and interoperability, and a basic understanding of application software is necessary. The incumbent must comprehend legacy, current, and emerging technologies and possess the ability to articulate the value of technology to the business. We are looking for a Customer service oriented individual with the ability to explain technical detail to non-technical personnel. Must have knack for problem solving and the ability to be resourceful in high-pressure situations. The ability to administer local accounts and follow SOPs and Work Guidelines as well as other departmental procedures is required.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support NYGC’s LAN/WAN infrastructure;
- Maintain existing Cisco UCS infrastructure and Enterprise Architecture;
- Work with management to plan and improve network design with growth and change of organization;
- Ability to configure and support IP video conferencing and IP phone services inclusive of QoS;
- Configure/maintain/administer the following environments:
- Cisco Nexus 5k/UCS
- Cisco Wireless, Routing/Switching, and Security (ASA & ISE)
- Maintain circuit availability for all sites, maintain and periodically test redundant failover, and monitor all network devices;
- Validates compliance to security protocols, including enforcement and administration of network security policies and services through firewalls, proxy services, LANs, WANs, and VPNs;
- Plans, designs, tests, evaluates, implements, integrates, and validates network systems and services;
- Creates and maintains written procedures and policies for the networking environment;
- Identify and mitigate security risks; work with management to improve technologies; must stay on top of latest issues and technologies;
- Ability to identify need for/ write documentation, as well as compile accurate diagrams;
- Monitor systems proactively and responds to alerts.
- Maintain monitoring tools and ensure all sites are up to date with monitoring information;
- Liaise closely with the Research Computing group to support applications infrastructure;
- Must be proactive and identify most efficient solutions for business owners, explain and assist in implementation of such solutions;
- Work closely with desktop support representatives to provide technical guidance.