The Laboratory for Molecular Medicine (LMM) is an integral component of Partners Healthcare Personalized Medicine, an academic center with a mission to promote genetics and genomics in research and clinical medicine and to help realize the promise of personalized medicine by accelerating the integration of genetic knowledge into clinical care. The LMM is a CLIA-certified clinical diagnostic laboratory and has been offering testing services since 2003. The team at the LMM works to translate novel discoveries into cutting-edge tests and accelerate the adoption of new molecular tests into clinical care. An integral component of our mission is the incorporation of IT support into the day to day operations of the clinical lab, as well as implementing innovative programs to help physicians stay current on genetic information relevant to their patients. We are located in Cambridge, Massachusetts and work to develop gene tests, particularly DNA sequencing assays, for complex as well as traditional single gene disorders within selected clinical areas, including hearing loss, cardiovascular disease, and cancer genetics.
The Senior LMM Technician will routinely perform, optimize, and train other staff on laboratory developed clinical assays. Including but not limited to the following platforms, Next Generation sequencing, Sanger sequencing, MLPA, ddPCR, and Taqman. Working closely with the laboratory and project managers, coordinate and prioritize the day-to-day operations. In addition to providing training of staff regarding new procedures, equipment and integrated software systems, the senior molecular diagnostic technician will be involved in on-going process improvements and enhancements. This work will be done in close collaboration with the LMM development team. The technician will be expected to be knowledgeable and comply with all Partners patient privacy guidelines.
Successful candidate will promote the mission Partners Personalized Medicine to enable personalized medicine through the following tasks:
- In collaboration with geneticists, and managers, performs and optimizes novel laboratory developed tests employing molecular techniques and platforms in DNA sequencing, genotyping, and copy-number variation for diagnostic applications.
- Independently completes testing and reports results in a timely manner
- Proven ability to independently and routinely employ experience and judgment to determine proper troubleshooting and resolution of suboptimal results.
- Identifies opportunities for quality improvement, working closely with laboratory manager, directs implementation, including updating of SOPs and training of staff.
- Designs all necessary laboratory paperwork associated with new or updated protocols.
- Improves existing assays and workflows to optimize analytical and operational performance.
- Responsible for mentoring and training new staff on current laboratory processes and internal software systems
- Communicates basic lab needs to Lab Manager for both technical and administrative issues.
- Act as liaison with other laboratories and scientific cores.
- Perform highly specialized procedures on liquid handling robotics.
- Participate in lab meetings, and generate ideas for improving efficiency and productivity in the lab’s operations.
- All other duties as assigned
- Coordinates distribution of work among staff, ensuring the continuous, timely processing of specimens
- Maintains proficiency and competency for all laboratory processes
- Drives and oversees the data collection and analysis process for quality assurance and quality control programs
- Become expert on internal laboratory information management systems (LIMSs)
- Liaise with Information Technology department providing requirements and enhancement requests for (LIMS)
- Performs and maintains accurate records of equipment maintenance and quality control.
- Monitor preventative maintenance and schedules for automated extraction equipment, liquid handler(s), pipette calibrations and other supporting equipment.
- Monitors inventory levels, orders materials and supplies in accordance with established policies and procedures, counts orders upon receipt
- Compliance with all laboratory regulations, including Joint Commission, CAP and other regulatory agencies
- Complies with biohazard/radiation safety standards through proper handling of potentially hazardous chemical and biological agents and/or radiation sources in the workplace.
- Conference attendance and presentations are a possibility.