About the Role:
An opening exists for a Senior Manager of Research and Development within Beckman Coulter Genomics. This position holds responsibility for scientific direction of the company, the development and validation of new products and laboratory improvements, and is the scientific “face” to our customers.
The position reports to the General Manager for the business unit and has direct responsibility for our Research and Development, and Bioinformatics teams. Responsibilities within Bioinformatics include new product development, the supervision of staff and processes that analyze data for our service offerings, and provision of consulting services for our customers’ projects. Candidates must demonstrate expansive knowledge and experience in the science, technology and applications of Sanger and Next-generation sequencing.
Experience in laboratories providing next-generation services, which can include CLIA reference lab experience, is required. Incumbents should have knowledge of the research and clinical applications of sequencing in sufficient depth to set strategic direction for the development of service offerings, envision the development of best in class products and services that differentiate from our competitors, and advise our clients in study design of their research. This position is charged to develop peerless Research and Develop, and Bioinformatics teams and capabilities from perspectives of quality of our services, customer satisfaction, scientific excellence, and efficiency. Candidates should have strong networks within our customer base to include both academic and commercial researchers and clinicians. Similar contacts within the suppliers and developers of sequencing technology are favored. Success in this position will derive from a comprehensive knowledge of customers, science, service business & the vision/leadership to translate new discoveries into innovative products and services.
• Lead and develop teams of scientists, engineers, programmers & bioinformaticians
• Set scientific direction for the company & contribute scientific insights towards strategic plans
• Ensure the conception, implementation, validation & launch of new products within timelines and budget
• Imbue a culture of integrity, customer focus, accountability, scientific excellence & transparency
• Champion strategic direction towards new products and greater market share
• Drive continuous improvement of our laboratory processes to ensure industry leading service levels and cost effectiveness
• Ensure our brand association with innovation through scientific publication, presentation and the generation of intellectual property
• Assure the rigorous application of the Danaher Business System throughout the company