Job Title: Senior Manager, Capillary Electrophoresis R&D
Requisition ID: 78783BR
When you join us at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll be part of a smart, driven team that shares your passion for exploration and discovery. With revenues of more than $20 billion and the largest investment in R&D in the industry, we give our people the resources and opportunities to make significant contributions to the world.
South San Francisco, CA
How will you make an impact?
The Capillary Electrophoresis Platform business within the Genetic Sciences Division of ThermoFisher Scientific is seeking a talented individual to join the R&D organization to lead a team of scientists developing new DNA and protein analysis products and supporting on-market capillary electrophoresis products and applications. Candidates should have a proven track record in developing genetic analysis chemistries and applications, experience developing products from ideation to commercialization in a phase gate process, demonstrate ability to innovate new product ideas and proven ability to work in a matrixed organization. Experience in successfully managing and motivating PhD/Masters level scientists is critical and collaboration and interface with a wide range of groups will be expected including R&D, Product Management, Program Management, Operations, customers and OEM partners.
What will you do?
- Lead the technical development of new chemistries and applications for genetic analysis on the Capillary Electrophoresis platform.
- Manage group of 8 - 10 scientists working on new technology and reagent development.
- Contribute to strategic planning and help to set the direction for the Capillary Electrophoresis Platform business.
- Work with Product Management and R&D Leadership to build compelling technical and business cases for new products.
- Work with OEM partners in development of new capillary electrophoresis platforms
- Drive innovation through collaboration with scientists from different disciplines.
- Present project updates to colleagues and management & represent the company at customer facing meetings and scientific conferences.
- Critically analyze complex data, interpret & integrate experimental results with project objectives.
- Support engineering changes to sustain product manufacturing.
- Support on-market product activities.
How will you get here?
A PhD degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology or a related field
- 10+ years of industry experience
- At least two years of experience leading a team of PhD / Masters level scientists
- Demonstrated ability to transfer methods from the R&D environment to Manufacturing for production
- Experience in manufacturing process development and product validation and verification.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Strong understanding of genetic analysis technologies including qPCR, Capillary Electrophoresis and Next Gen Sequencing.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills & ability to work with a cross-functional team.
- Excellent written communication.
At Thermo Fisher Scientific, each one of our 70,000 extraordinary minds has a unique story to tell. Join us and contribute to our singular mission—enabling our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer.