Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. Life at Illumina is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives. We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Just check out our investor events and presentations to learn about our financial accomplishments. Our growth isn’t just in financials, we’ve been busy hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime. Join Illumina.
The Senior Electrical Engineer will work amongst a group of electrical engineers. Directs, leads and manages technical activities of hardware manufacturing sustaining, evaluation, and modification of critical components and sub-assemblies which integrate into a larger, complex instrumentation in DNA sequencing. The position will be responsible for driving continuous improvements, cost reduction, and outsourcing efforts. The position will involve providing technical support throughout the product development process (PDP) and in new product introduction (NPI) functions, including research/proof-of-concept design, development of engineering specifications and requirements, design and analysis, test and characterization, and generation of production documentation. Develop and present reports and presentations that communicate design and manufacturing problems, problem solving approach and finally its solutions to an audience. Strong communication skills and problem solving skills a must.
- Provide project leadership for electrical lifecycle team and support their product improvement efforts.
- Troubleshoot system-level design and quality defects in existing and legacy products, including product defects in PCAs and electrical systems.
- Design, develop and maintain test protocols and test fixtures and process improvements for electrical systems and sub-systems
- Conduct research that analyzes the design, operation and performance of equipment, electrical components and systems to improve product reliability.
- Participate in NPI transfer efforts to manufacturing and in design reviews with Development core teams
- Collaborate with Contract Manufacturers to assure successful product transfer in subsystem outsourcing efforts.
- Provide DFx and test recommendations to CMs for instrument subsystems and sub-assemblies, including PCAs and electro-mechanical components
- Perform verification protocols for test fixtures and product design changes prior to mfg release. Document and release protocol test reports.
- Perform solving to improve process controls and resolve sources of non-conformances
- Support Customer and Field issues pertaining to existing and legacy products
- Support MRB by evaluating and dispositioning NCMs (non-conformance material) pertaining to electronics
- Review and analyze NCM data to improve material yield and functionality
- Implement ECO changes to product and manufacturing processes
- Represent Life Cycle Management in Project Core Teams to release quality products into manufacturing and incorporate new designs into life sciences instruments.
- Ability and proven experience in electronics and electromechanical manufacturing excellence.
- Must demonstrate high energy and ability to work in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment
- Skilled in trouble-shooting and debugging system-level and component-level design problems.
- Candidate must be organized, a self-starter, highly motivated individual capable of multi-tasking
- Effective communication skills – both written and verbal
- Ability to read and understand electrical schematics/drawings and BOMs
- Competent in the use of common electronic troubleshooting tools and trouble-shooting of electronics designs.
- Experience with Altium Designer and OrCAD design software as well as PCB layout CAD tools (PowerPCB, etc).
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, VISIO)
- Demonstrated use and understanding of change management process (SAP preferred)
- Demonstrate GDP and GMP
- Understanding of Quality process controls
- Minimum physical requirements to perform all duties and responsibilities, as defined by management
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and collaboratively across disciplines required.
- Experience in biotech, biomedical, nanotechnology or semiconductor industries preferred.
- Experience with FDA regulated medical device product development preferred.
BSEE/MSEE in Electrical Engineering:
5+ years with BS and 3+ years with MS.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at 858-246-8959. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf