All About Us
Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. We are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives.
We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Our revenue grew from $10 million in 2002 to approximately $2.2 billion in 2015. Our growth isn’t just revenue, we’ve been hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies list three years running, including #1 in 2014. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you – imagine the possibilities.
The Senior Electrical Engineer will be responsible for manufacturing sustaining activities to drive continuous improvements, cost reduction, and outsourcing efforts with contract manufacturers and suppliers.
Included in the scope: planning, designing, testing, problem solving, and providing technical leadership of critical components and sub-assemblies which integrate into larger, complex instrumentation for DNA sequencers. The position will involve aspects of the product development process as well as NPI functions, including research, development of engineering specifications and requirements, design and analysis, test and characterization, and generation of production documentation.
All About You
- Identify, design, and develop test protocols and/or test fixtures and process improvements for electrical systems and sub-systems
- Conduct research that tests and analyze the feasibility, design, operation and performance of equipment, electrical components and systems
- Collaborate with Contract Manufacturers with outsourcing functions to assure successful product transfer
- Provide DFx and test recommendations to CMs on electrical components (PCAs, systems, and sub-systems)
- Participate in troubleshooting, problem solving, failure analysis, root cause, and corrective action processes as required
- Troubleshoot to component level product defects in PCAs and electrical systems
- Creates and conducts verification & validation protocols to qualify new or improved materials, processes, or products
- Manage project teams comprised of both internal and external partners including planning, scheduling, and budgetary tasks, and providing status reports and presentations
- Documentation responsibilities include generating Bill of Materials, test reports, and assembly procedures
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment
- Candidate must be organized, a self-starter, highly motivated individual capable of multi-tasking
- Effective strong communication skills – both written and verbal
- Ability to read and understand electrical schematics/drawings and BOMs
- Competent in the use of common electronic troubleshooting tools
- Experience with related Electrical CAD design software preferred
- Experience in design of electro-mechanical assemblies
- Proficient in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, VISIO)
- Demonstrated use and understanding of change management process (SAP preferred)
- Demonstrate GDP and GMP
- Understanding of Quality process controls
- Experience with FDA regulated medical device product development preferred
- Minimum physical requirements to perform all duties and responsibilities, as defined by management
- BS/MS in Electrical Engineering
- 10+ years of Supplier Management and Electro/Mechanical Engineering experience
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.