The Senior Director, IT Infrastructure will provide leadership for the strategic direction and oversight of NYGC's computational, data, network and security infrastructure.
The ideal candidate will have substantial experience developing and maintaining solutions to support large-scale, high-throughput scientific applications and data, in a 24-7, mission-critical environment. A strong candidate will have exhaustive knowledge of the technical resources in their field, strong opinions on how best to deploy those resources, and the ability to explain his or her reasoning both at a high level and in detail. He or she must have expertise in security and understanding of security compliance issues, preferably in a HIPAA environment. The ideal candidate will also have a deep interest in using their expertise to advance medical research.
This position will be responsible for managing multiple teams, including:
- a research computing team that manages a multi-petabyte data storage system, multiple databases, and thousands of cores;
- a networking and security team that is responsible for both internal and external networking (including an internal network that transfers petabytes of data per day) and security meeting high ISO and HIPAA standards, subject to regular external audits;
- a desktop support team, responsible for deskside support of both PCs and MACs, A/V and phones;
- a system administration team responsible for core IT functions deployed on large numbers of virtual machines.
The Senior Director will also be responsible for developing and maintaining external collaborations with technology partners, as well as constantly evaluating emerging technologies to maintain the Center as a leader in the effective use of technology. This position will also require collaboration with IT leaders from partner institutions.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Provide operational oversight of high-performance computing infrastructure, large-scale data storage, and possibly third-party IT services for research computing;
- Establish metrics for service delivery to researchers;
- Manage escalation of technical requests and continually identify opportunities for improvement in both services and architecture;
- Directly engage the research community to understand evolving and projected requirements;
- Manage performance of team leaders;
- Investigate emerging technologies and services and drive innovative technology projects;
- Understand the strengths and weaknesses of public cloud technologies and how they may be applicable in our environment;
- Forecast capacity requirements and budgets;
- Prepare budgets, and assist in budgeting for grant applications.