Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
The Senior Director of Biology/Pharmacology will play a key role in defining the strategic direction for drug discovery at Celgene. He/She will work in close collaboration with other senior management across the global Celgene organization to build and enhance a world-class Translational unit. The successful candidate for this position must have extensive senior leadership experience in discovery and translational research in the pharmaceutical/biotechnology industry with an emphasis on immune-based therapeutics.
The new Senior Director will have a thorough understanding of all the requirements and processes needed to advance drugs through discovery and into development from target selection/validation to lead ID to lead optimization, through safety assessment, into clinical development, and ultimately toward registration. A demonstrated track record of leading research groups that have moved compounds into the clinic is essential.
The successful candidate should possess a broad knowledge of extant drug discovery targets being pursued across the industry and clear insight into the future direction of novel therapeutics and an ability to identify and critically evaluate in-licensing opportunities. Facility in formulating broad strategic objectives and operationalizing them in the research team. The candidate should be energetic and inspirational, with communication skills that enable him/her to be persuasive to a broad and heterogeneous group of stakeholders.
Additional specific responsibilities include:
• Attracting, retaining, and developing a world-class Discovery and Translational Research team and building a culture of innovation that cultivates teamwork and optimizes performance.
• Providing scientific perspective and leadership to discovery efforts. A primary focus and experience in either oncology or inflammation/immunology therapeutic areas is preferred.
• Building and delivering a sustainable flow of Development Candidates for clinical development consistent with agreed strategies.
• Representing the company both internally and externally with both the scientific and business communities.
• Actively assisting in seeking product and/or technology alliances with appropriate academic, government, and industry partners.
• Demonstrate strong people management skills, leading by example with a high level of emotional intelligence, and be willing to work collaboratively with other functional groups.
• Works with project teams to set objectives and manage multiple projects. Responsible for data review, analysis, and interpretation from a variety of sources and evaluates the impact on research projects and goals. Provides input into go/no-go decisions for projects.
• Effectively applies and enables state-of-the-art technologies and best practices to improve operational efficiency.
• Ensures performance standards are maintained and that experimental work is performed to a consistently high standard.
• Outstanding presentation and communication skills.
• Balances leadership strength with self-awareness, confidence, and humility.
• PhD or equivalent in appropriate biological sciences or pharmacology discipline: oncology or inflammation/immunology.
• At least 15 years industry experience in the discovery of novel therapeutics.
• A record of building, directing, and/or reassembling highly productive teams, with a strong record of organizational experience.
• Recognized as a leader in a therapeutic area of interest to Celgene Discovery, with a record of exceptional contribution in the science and demonstrated experience in moving drug candidates into development.
• An innovative attitude, coupled with a strong sense of practical execution.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize and clearly articulate research objectives.
• A strong record mentoring and enabling career development.
• Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to inspire subordinates, peers, and superiors.
• Deep understanding of pharmacology and critical issues in drug discovery and development.
Celgene is committed to equal opportunity in the terms and conditions of employment for all employees and job applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, gender identity or gender expression, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Celgene complies with all applicable national, state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work for Celgene in the U.S.
Req ID: 15002077
Primary Location: United States-Massachusetts-Bedford
Job: Research and Development
Organization: Celgene Avilomics Research
Employee Status: Director
Job Type: Full-time
Job Level: Day Job
Job Posting: 2015-11-18 00:00:00.0
Biologist, Biology, Biotech, Engineering, Healthcare, Immunology, Management, Manager, Medical, Oncology, Pharmaceutical, R&D, Research, Science, Scientific, Scientist