The Human Genome Sequencing Center (HGSC) at the Baylor College of Medicine is seeking a Senior Developer with six or more years of hands-on experience developing Java/Web applications, ETL processes and Business Intelligence applications.
Essential functions and duties:
The Baylor College of Medicine Human Genome Sequencing Center (BCM-HGSC) was founded in 1996 and is a world leader in genomics. The fundamental interests of the HGSC are in advancing biology and genetics by improved genome technologies. As one of the three large-scale sequencing centers funded by the National Institutes of Health, HGSC provides a unique opportunity to work on the cutting edge of genomic science in a state of the art institution.
HGSC is currently seeking an enthusiastic individual to work in a rapidly evolving research lab to create world-class applications. This new member will develop and maintain software and database systems that support data management, laboratory workflows and processes utilizing established architecture, standard design patterns and coding practices. The successful candidate will work closely with a team of scientists to define and implement requirements and refine systems as technologies evolve over time.
HGSC offers opportunities that provide both educational and professional growth. No matter what the role, our employees make a significant contribution to genome research and tomorrow’s science in a family-friendly work environment.
BCM-HGSC is located in the Texas Medical Center and provides an academic environment that balances work and personal life.
Job Functions and general requirements:
- Works with a cross-functional project team in the design and development of the data warehouse, associated ETL processes, data analytics and reporting.
- Works with a cross-functional project team on data integration with EMR/EHR systems, Laboratory Information Management Systems and associated Genomic Data.
- Develop ETL procedures, scripts, programs etc. to process incoming/outgoing data.
- Develop analytics solutions and reporting applications targeted to end users by role.
- Develop and maintain software applications and web services to support laboratory processes, and other genomic research related web applications utilizing established architecture, standard design patterns and coding practices.
- Develop data governance and data quality processes to improve quality and usability of data warehouse data.
- Create documentation as necessary for the data warehouse and associated business processes and applications.
- Display a desire to learn and grasp new concepts quickly and implement robust and scalable applications.
- Demonstrate strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a collaborative team.
- Ability to investigate, identify and solve problems logically and efficiently.
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks, effectively solve problems with numerous and complex variables, and shift priorities rapidly.
- Good communication and collaboration skills and the ability to work in an agile/iterative development team.
- Ensure implementations are properly tested, approved by affected stakeholders, and documented for hand-off to operational support and maintenance.
- Develop standard operating procedures and other documentation to appropriately transfer knowledge to operational support teams.
- Meet deadline commitments on time and produce high quality software that is unit tested, code reviewed, and checked in regularly for continuous integration.
- Train and support end users.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.