About The Jackson Laboratory for Genomic Medicine: Comprising 183,000 square feet of highly advanced, state-of-the-art laboratories and supporting facilities, JAX-GM is conveniently located midway between NYC and Boston, in the heart of Connecticut. JAX-GM is part of an exciting, internationally-recognized research and educational institution with unparalleled genomic resources and research support services.
About the position: The Palucka Lab at JAX-GM is currently seeking a motivated biostatistician interested in leveraging talents in statistics to support the work of the lab by ensuring that all experiments are designed optimally through systematic analysis of existing approaches and proposal of practical and pragmatic enhancements or alternatives as necessary. In addition, the incumbent will develop, validate and implement quality control and analysis techniques for data generated by the Palucka Lab and assist in both grant writing and project summaries/publications.
The overarching theme of the Palucka lab is to investigate the mechanisms of human immunity and to identify strategies for harnessing the power of the immune system to prevent and treat cancer. For more, visit the Palucka Lab online.
- With minimal supervision, act as lead biostatistician on projects ranging in size and complexity, taking full responsibility for the statistical and analytical aspects of consulting projects.
- Work with scientific staff and support staff to assist in grant preparation, with particular emphasis on experimental design, sample sizes, and statistical/analytical methodology.
- May serve as lead and/or mentor to other staff.
- Take initiative to keep abreast of scientific staff needs though surveys, interviews, user-group meetings, and other means of communication.
- Take initiative to identify, acquire, evaluate, and deploy software relative to scientific needs of the institution consistent with responsibilities.
- Participate in delivering training of benefit to scientific staff through workshops, presentations, and other training venues.
- Take initiative to identify and develop curriculum for local training where appropriate and necessary.
- Work effectively in a team environment with lesser experienced individuals as well as management level personnel.
- Aid in the development of data QA/QC and analytical/statistical protocols.
- Provide clear, concise and timely written work agreements and project summaries. May also write and edit large sections of a manuscript and/or grant, including the statistical/analytical methods and portions of the results section, and will check manuscripts/grants for numerical accuracy.