The Simons Foundation in New York City is seeking a Senior Bioinformatics Engineer to develop and support whole exome sequencing and genome sequencing data analysis pipelines in both research and operational modalities. This position will report to the director of data and analytics in the informatics group and will work with other engineers and analysts in the informatics group, as well as with clinical and basic research teams at the foundation.
Main Functions and Responsibilities
- Design, develop and operate computational pipelines for next generation sequencing data.
- Work on both large-scale projects and small custom tasks that span a wide variety of analysis problems
- Develop new and/or improve upon existing algorithms for variant detection (SNPs and indels) and structural variant detection (CNVs, inversions and translocations) for clinical research purposes.
- Develop and maintain a knowledge base of variants and annotations discovered in processing of samples
- Doctoral degree in bioinformatics, computational sciences or related field.
- Over five years’ work experience in bioinformatics
- Experience with next-generation sequencing data
- Experience in Linux/Unix cluster environment
- Advanced programming skills in Python/Java
- Strong background in algorithm development, statistical methods, machine learning and distributed computing.
- Extensive knowledge of computational genomics and experience with high-throughput data analysis
- Outstanding personal initiative and the ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Familiarity with C++, Perl, Matlab and R
- Familiarity with databases—relational and noSQL—cloud computing and web services
The Simons Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.