Medical Lab Scientist / Technician
- New Zealand’s leading hospital laboratory
- Full-time permanent role
- Dedicated friendly team
We are looking for an experienced and proactive Medical Laboratory Scientist to lead our molecular genetics team. This is an excellent opportunity to work with NZ’s largest and highly specialised hospital based laboratory service.
LabPLUS is an IANZ accredited medical laboratory and is one of New Zealand's premier laboratories. LabPLUS are part of the state-owned Auckland District Health Board. We offer a comprehensive pathology service for Auckland City Hospital, Starship Children’s Hospital, National Women's Health, and the Greenlane Clinical Centre. LabPLUS is also a major referral laboratory for specialised laboratory tests for New Zealand and the Pacific Islands. Visit our website www.labplus.co.nz for more information.
Auckland DHB is the largest teaching hospital in New Zealand and we have a lot that we can offer you:
- Continuous improvement and development opportunities
- A great team environment and supportive work culture
- Subsidised gym membership, free gym classes run by 5Points Gym
- Discounts at a variety of businesses, free eye test
About the department
The Diagnostic Genetics laboratory provides a comprehensive service using both cytogenetic and molecular genetics techniques enabling us to resolve clinical diagnoses with a genetic component. We analyse pre and post-natal samples, providing predictive testing, and confirmation of a clinical diagnosis in the management of a spectrum of both malignant and inherited disorders.
The Molecular Genetics team specialise in diagnostic testing for the inherited causes of cancer, diabetes, cardiac diseases as well as metabolic and neurological disorders. The team also run a send away service for genetic testing not provided locally. Our portfolio of tests is constantly being upgraded with a view to reducing turnaround times and enhancing our tests to take into account new approaches and international clinical and research data.
About the position
In this role you will be responsible for the operational management of the molecular genetics team ensuring delivery of high quality and timely services in line with clinical expectations with an over-all emphasis on quality outcomes.
You will also have the primary responsibility for maintaining the section’s accreditation against the standard ISO 15189 and will contribute to departmental strategic and business planning as required. This role will provide opportunities for improving management skills, teaching, process improvement, quality and test development.
To be successful in this role you will have the following skills and attributes :-
- At least 5 years’ experience working in a diagnostic medical laboratory as a senior Medical Laboratory Scientist.
- Extensive knowledge of human molecular genetics with experience of both NGS and Sanger sequencing as well as targeted analysis using a variety of allele specific PCR approaches.
- Detailed knowledge of the ISO15189 standards.
- Previous people management or leadership experience is essential with experience in performance management and development
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Flexibility to suit the service demands with the ability to prioritise and deliver to deadlines.
- Experience in quality management system is essential with working knowledge of computer based systems within the context of a Medical Laboratory.
- Registration with the Medical Sciences Council of NZ and current APC.
For further information please contact Neil van de Water, Scientific Officer on firstname.lastname@example.org
Auckland DHB is an inclusive and equal opportunity employer that values and embraces the diverse population we serve. We welcome and respect people of all gender identities, ages, ethnicities, sexual orientations, disabilities and religions. Apply now and join us to make a positive difference and to “do your life’s best work at Auckland DHB”.
To apply please visit our Careers website www.careers.adhb.govt.nz and quote job reference number AUC05654 and submit your application online attaching your updated CV and Covering Letter. For help with your application please email, Sonu Anand, Recruitment Consultant on Sonua@adhb.govt.nz quoting ref # AUC05654.
Note: We are unable to accept applications on email so please apply online on this site only.
Closing date 31 July 2019.
For the largest health sector job board in New Zealand, visit www.kiwihealthjobs.com