The New York Genome Center is seeking a talented, highly self-motivated, and team-oriented Scientist to join the Sequencing Development group and assist Sequencing Operations leadership in developing and implementing next-generation sequencing technologies and assays. The ideal candidate has a strong working knowledge of molecular biology and next-generation sequencing technology, including sample preparation and data interpretation. Requiring strong interpersonal and communication skills, this role will work on a cross-disciplinary team and collaborate closely with other teams to develop and implement innovative new technologies into production. The ability to thrive in a fast-paced and shifting environment is essential.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Design and perform relevant experiments to evaluate and develop NGS-based assays;
- Create innovative protocols for sample preparation for Illumina and other NGS platforms;
- Contribute to troubleshooting and improving current laboratory methods;
- Analyze, interpret and report scientific findings at NYGC-wide meetings and to senior management;
- Perform custom, non-production assays, as needed;
- Work with challenging sample types including FFPE, ultra low input, and single-cell derived DNA and RNA;
- Assist the Manager in guiding and supporting members of the group;
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of current scientific literature, and communicate relevant developments to members of the group;
- Actively participate in lab meetings, share knowledge with the team, and help drive efforts toward the goal of developing robust, cutting edge NGS technologies.