Reporting to the CSO, the Protein Expression Scientist executes the Company’s enzyme development projects according to customer-driven timelines and internal prioritization. She/he is an experienced molecular biologist with outstanding skills in cloning, gene engineering, protein expression, and strain optimization in both bacterial and eukaryotic systems. Duties include optimizing gene sequences, cloning and gene expression, engineering strains to maximize soluble expression, and managing external collaborators/subcontractors all in compliance with the FDA’s 21 CFR 211/820 design control requirements. Alphazyme maintains a commitment to Quality and a culture of continuous improvement, and the Scientist shall periodically recommend efficiency improvements to the Company’s development processes to management.
Job performance will involve a variety of activities including:
- Support microbial strain and product development pipelines through strain development, efficient gene expression on multiple expression hosts, bioreactor fermentation, protein production, protein purification strategies, biochemical characterization and application studies of selected microbial enzymes, to meet established timelines.
- Support storage and maintenance of microbial stock cultures
- Perform basic molecular biology processes, including PCR, western blot, ELISA, gel electrophoresis, DNA/RNA purification, gene assembly and cloning.
- Perform protein expression in bacterial and fungal hosts
- Perform basic biochemistry analyses and assays, including protein gel electrophoresis, western blots, labeling, protein quantitation and fluorescence measurement.
- Document, compile, and analyze experimental data.
- Communicate results at team meetings, contribute to project and experiment planning.
- Develop and maintain protocols, operational processes, and safety best practices.
- Follow safety, quality control and quality assurance procedures
- Interface and productively collaborate with members of cross-organizational teams, including external partners and customers
- Contribute to development projects including planning, strategic direction, experimental design, data analysis and interpretation.
- Research new equipment, technologies that contribute to platform improvement
- Identify technical issues, troubleshooting, solve problems and achieve clear resolution
- Provide effective management for planning, coordinating and executing tasks and projects in a given time frame
- Maintain laboratory documentation in accordance with applicable scientific, regulatory, and intellectual property requirements
- Prepare technical reports