At Affymetrix, we are passionate about enabling our customers, scientists, and clinicians to improve human health and wellness by understanding and applying biology for a better world. Our employees bring talent, creativity, collaboration, and energy to what they do. Join us at Affymetrix and make a difference.
Scientist, Protein Biochemist - Based in San Diego, CA
We are seeking a highly motivated Scientist, Protein Biochemist responsible for developing and/or optimizing antibody purification processes and bioconjugation to many different solid supports (beads) and proteins. The ideal candidate will lead the process validation activities, including scale-down and scale-up model qualifications, documentation of the process development activities and technology transfer protocols. This person will facilitate the technology transfer and provide training and support to the Manufacturing group.
Additionally, the qualified person is expected to apply hand-on training to troubleshoot technical challenges, and apply new technologies to improve efficiency of purification and conjugation processes. Experience with process automation is highly desirable. The protein biochemist will work closely with fellow group members to ensure efficient and coordinated efforts, and timely delivery of reagent proteins of the appropriate quantity and quality.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following (other duties may be assigned.):
- The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in purifying and conjugating monoclonal antibodies and possess in-depth knowledge on the theory and application of various chromatographic and protein characterization techniques and the accompanying instrumentation.
- The candidate will be expected to effectively interact with members of numerous project teams and present experimental results at team meetings and seminars.
- Development and optimization of purification and conjugation protocols utilizing novel chemistries and technologies.
- Purification and conjugation of monoclonal antibodies on mg to gram scale.
- Development and optimization of automated techniques for antibody purification and conjugation.
- Cross train with R&D groups and other groups as necessary.
- Stay current with technologies for purification process development through scientific literature review and seminar/conference attendance.
- Identify new technologies and technological breakthroughs by monitoring scientific literature patent publications, competitor products and attending scientific conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.