Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. Life at Illumina is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives. We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Just check out our investor events and presentations to learn about our financial accomplishments. Our growth isn’t just in financials, we’ve been busy hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime. Join Illumina.
We are seeking a talented, driven, and experienced industrial scale manufacturing scientist to join our dynamic team and contribute to the production and development of novel proteins and molecular biology reagents. In this position you will be responsible for supporting the development and production of a wide variety of molecular biology proteins, from cell break through to final QC. You will support the development and implementation process scalability, participate in team-driven purification process improvement projects, and be expected to participate in an inquisitive scientific environment.
Job duties include, but are not limited to
- Support the development and scalability of variety of molecular biology enzymes and binding proteins
- Design and implement industrial scale manufacturing practices
- Develop robust industrial scale purification processes for key enzymes that are used in company’s proprietary sequencing platforms
- Work with outside vendors in the acquisition, design and implementation of large scale manufacturing equipment
- Purify a variety of molecular biology enzymes and binding proteins to support our growing product lines
- Participate with increasing independence on individual projects related to protein purification.
- Work as part of a scientific team and participate in team meetings and initiatives.
- Other duties that may be determined by management.
- 5 or more years of extensive hands-on experience in purification at industrial sized manufacturing site using both non-automated and automated systems, as well as homogenization, batch purification, precipitation, and tangential flow filtration
- Hands on Knowledge for purifying enzymes from bacterial cell pellets at scales greater than 50 Kg of cell paste starting material
- Thorough knowledge of the theories of protein purification, including the basis of chromatography and other downstream techniques
- Experience working with multiple quantities of solution greater than 300 Liters
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Additional experiences that are desired, but not mandatory:
Experience working in an FDA regulated environment
Experience working with industrial sized scale temperature controlled manufacturing processes
Experience working in continuous flow manufacturing processes
Familiarity in Operational Excellence (Lean Manufacturing & Continuous improvement)
- B.S. M.S. or PhD Degree in biochemistry, chemistry, biochemical engineering, or related field
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at 858-246-8959. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf