The Scientist II will have experience in immunology and will be responsible for providing scientific and technical expertise within a cross-functional team to research and develop novel NGS or PCR-based products and services in the area of cancer biology and treatment.This position will report into a manager within the Genomic Sciences department within Research & Development.
S/he will participate in, interact with and influence various cross functional teams and act as a liaison between these teams and the Product & Services R&D group.
S/he will participate in improving current commercial assays and developing future products through technical/scientific groups providing scientific and technologic expertise to Product Teams, Business Development, and Senior Management.
S/he will facilitate and may lead execution of clinical and analytical lab studies.
- Provide scientific expertise in the areas of immunology, cancer biology and molecular genetics (especially in breast cancer, prostate cancer, colon cancer, and immune-oncology), next generation sequencing and polymerase chain reaction theory and methods, and tissue- and non-tissue-based methods for evaluating tumor-associated biology.
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge in immunology, cancer biology and molecular genetics and proactively propose and implement application of new ideas and concepts in GHI programs
- May be a member of Development Subteam(s) with the following accountabilities:
- Execute projects related to the product development plan, intellectual property, system design, readiness and transition from Development to Commercial and Lab Operations,
- Participate in assay development from investigation through validation
- If leading a team, may identify needs of the Development Subteam(s) and partner with functional area groups for allocation of people and resources as required
- Collaborate closely with peers to address product-related biological and technology development issues and escalate project prioritization conflicts impacting resource availability.
- On teams, provide subject area expertise (biology, technology, process, genomics, etc.) directly or identify a subject matter expert within the Products & Services R&D group to consult with the team as needed
- Accountable for research and development protocols for a wide range of studies, including feasibility, exploratory, clinical and analytical validation, and post-marketing studies, to be executed within R&D
- Provide scientific input for product and process improvements
- Participate in authorship of final reports, abstracts and publications; responsible for some final reports
- May provide internal education about our products and technology to new and existing employees at varied experience and technical knowledge levels
- Apply the best principles of CLIA, GCP and design controls to product development as appropriate
- Other duties as assigned.
- PhD and/or MD and a minimum of 2 – 5 years of relevant experience, preferably in a diagnostic environment
- Expert in Next Generation Sequencing or Polymerase Chain Reaction theory, methods and their application to product development
- Knowledge of immunology and cancer molecular genetics, with specific knowledge desired in breast cancer, prostate cancer and colon cancer, and immune-oncology.
- Knowledge of tissue-based and non-tissue-based methods for evaluating tumor-associated biology.
- Track record of success in cancer focused research through publication or successfully developed product.
- Scientific acumen leading to data-driven decisions
- Demonstrated excellent oral, written and presentation-based communication and influencing skills
- Ability to execute dynamic projects and to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner
- Demonstrated ability to be highly effective in a fast-paced, rapid growth environment
- Strong team player
TRAVEL, PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Travel Requirements: No Travel to 10% Travel]
- Standing or sitting for long periods of time may be necessary
- Some lifting (greater than 25 pounds) may be necessary
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, tissue specimens and instruments with moving parts, lasers, heating and freezing elements, and high speed centrifugation
- Repetitive manual pipetting may be necessary