Celgene is a global biopharmaceutical company leading the way in medical innovation to help patients live longer, better lives. Our purpose as a company is to discover and develop therapies that will change the course of human health. We value our passion for patients, quest for innovation, spirit of independence and love of challenge. With a presence in more than 70 countries - and growing - we look for talented people to grow our business, advance our science and contribute to our unique culture.
The successful candidate will be highly motivated to work within a science-focused, collaborative, multidisciplinary translational development environment to achieve the company’s aggressive drug development targets. The candidate will be a subject matter expert in the biology of inflammatory and fibrotic diseases and have a strong molecular and cellular biology background with a demonstrable, pro-active investigational approach to pharmacological studies. Expertise in developing biomarkers for clinical trials, and strong knowledge in one or more of the following disease areas is a plus: including idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, systemic sclerosis, chronic kidney disease, liver fibrosis, and inflammatory bowel disease.
Responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, the following:
The Senior Scientist position will be responsible for contributing to translational development strategies for Celgene’s drugs. The individual should work with minimal supervision to carry out laboratory based experiments as well as work with contract research organizations and internal and external collaborators. Activities include carrying out mechanism of action studies, biomarker identification, and generation of data that supports the pharmacodynamic evaluation of drugs in the clinical setting.
- Excellent laboratory-based skills in areas of cell and molecular biology
- Work independently designing well-defined and controlled experiments with clear endpoints/goals.
- Utilize translational based approaches to develop new concepts and mechanism of action hypotheses identifying distinguishing characteristics of Celgene compounds
- Identify and develop pharmacodynamic markers to assess and distinguish clinical drug effects.
- Responsible for interpretation of results and communicating scientific data to senior management.
- Responsible for the quality, quantity, timeliness, and scientific acceptability of I&I Translational Development activities resulting in reports for internal decision-making and having impact on departmental performance.
- Independently design and conduct laboratory experiments with primary cell cultures and patient samples.
- Develop leading edge cell based disease models that facilitate understanding of fibrotic mechanisms and how they can be modulated.
- Functional area expert with skills, theoretical knowledge and experience to apply scientific direction and approach to projects and problems.
- Organize cross-functional working groups for scientific projects...cont.