Job Title: Scientist II (Reproductive Health Testing)
Reports to: Group Leader
FLSA Class: Exempt
Introduction to Job Post:
Takara Bio USA is looking for a highly motivated, hands-on and creative individual to join our talented R&D team. The successful candidate will own and be responsible for broad aspects of product development from proof of concept to product launch, working both independently and with other colleagues in R&D, Corporate Development, Engineering and Manufacturing.
The Scientist II role reports to the Group Leader. The Scientist II role is office-based and located in Ann Arbor, Michigan.
Approximately 5% travel, including overnight, may be required.
- Plans, schedules, and conducts experiments at the bench for one or more projects, exhibiting good experimental design, data summary and interpretation, and clear report preparation – may have assistance in this from a Research Associate.
- Works closely and independently, through regular communication, with Product Managers and senior members of the R&D team to understand market trends and competition relevant to products worked on.
- Proposes new products for development based on this analysis and works independently with Product Managers to design appropriate specifications and estimate revenue.
- Develops and launches new products according to approved proposals and within stated deadlines.
- Independently authors all documents, including SOPs, related to the different stages of product development and product launch.
- Builds a network of collaborations with external researchers.
- Serves as a resource to R&D and other departments within the organization, including Manufacturing, Quality Control, and Quality Assurance especially during product development and launch.
- Represents Research and Development at scientific meetings in front of customers and/or collaborators, including presenting seminars on TBUSA products they have developed.
- Serves to support Sales and Technical Support representatives on technical matters.
- This position may supervise a Research Associate(s).
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- Requires a Ph.D. in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biomedical Engineering or relevant scientific discipline followed by a minimum of 5 to 8 years post-Ph.D. experience in academia and industry.
- Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts with specialized skills in assay development, verification and validation based on NGS and/or third-generation sequencing technologies.
- Demonstrated ability to independently initiate new projects and bring them to a successful conclusion.
- Strong interest in technology development and translating scientific ideas into novel applications.
- Previous experience with qPCR, multiplexed PCR and RNA-seq required.
- Experience with R/python for NGS data analysis highly preferred.
- Knowledge of genetic disorders related to reproductive health preferred.
- Basic knowledge of U.S. intellectual property laws.
- Effective analytical, problem-solving and judgment skills.
- Collaborative personality with good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.