Job Title: Scientist II (NGS/Automation)
Reports to: Senior Group Leader
FLSA Class: Exempt
Introduction to Job Post:
Takara Bio USA is looking for a highly skilled, creative, and self-motivated individual with experience in next generation sequencing to join our talented team of R&D scientists developing industry-leading technologies for single cell RNA sequencing. The Scientist II reports to a Senior Group Leader and is responsible for designing, undertaking and analyzing information from controlled laboratory-based investigations, experiments and trials. This role is responsible for all aspects of the research and development process from the project initiation to product launch and application development, working with other colleagues in R&D, Engineering, Marketing and Operations. Experience with single cell RNA sequencing and automation highly desired.
The Scientist II role is office-based.
Approximately 5% travel, including overnight, may be required.
- Plans, schedules, and conducts experiments at the bench for one or more projects, exhibiting good experimental design, data summary and interpretation, and clear report preparation – may have assistance from a Research Associate.
- Works closely and independently, through regular communication, with Product Managers and senior members of the R&D team to understand market trends and competition relevant to products worked on.
- Proposes new products for development based on this analysis and works independently with Product Managers to design appropriate specifications and estimate revenue.
- Develops and launches new products according to approved proposals and within stated deadlines.
- Independently authors all documents, including SOPs, related to the different stages of product development and product launch.
- Builds a network of collaborations with external researchers.
- Serves as a resource to R&D and other departments within the organization, including Product Management and Operations – especially during product development and launch.
- Represents Research and Development at scientific meetings in front of customers and/or collaborators, including presenting seminars on TBUSA products they have developed.
- Serves to support Sales and Technical Support representatives on technical matters.
- This position may supervise a Research Associate(s).
Education/Certification, Experience, and Competencies:
- Typically requires a Ph.D. in Molecular Biology or related discipline followed by a minimum of 5 to 8 years post-Ph.D. experience in academia and industry.
- Expert knowledge of scientific principles and concepts with specialized skills in current NGS library preparation technologies, not simply knowledge of techniques.
- Comfort using automation and instrumentation.
- Demonstrated ability to independently initiate new projects and bring them to a successful conclusion.
- Strong interest in technology development and translating scientific ideas into novel applications.
- Basic knowledge of U.S. intellectual property laws.
- Effective analytical, problem-solving and judgment skills.
- Collaborative personality with good interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Takara Bio USA, Inc. does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.