Scientist II, biochemist/enzymologist - In vitro biology, Oncology, Specialized Exploratory Assay Lab. AbbVie is committed to the discovery and development of innovative first-in-class therapies to help patients in the fight against cancer. AbbVie is at the forefront of cancer research in discovering and developing novel treatments that offer a new approach to cancer therapy. The Oncology Discovery group has an opportunity available for a highly motivated and skilled Scientist I/II in vitro biochemist/enzymologist that will make substantial contributions to the progression of oncology drug discovery programs in a highly collaborative environment. The candidate must be willing to work as part of a multidisciplinary research team under the mentorship of a supervisor.
• The successful candidate will be a member of a cancer biology team focused on delivering high quality drug development candidates for promising novel therapeutic targets.
• Responsibilities will include novel biochemical and cellular assay development, routine biochemical assays to enable SAR studies, compound preparation and handling, automation protocol development, assay troubleshooting, mechanistic analyses of enzyme reaction mechanisms and modes of inhibition, data analysis/interpretation, and data reporting.
• The candidate is expected to work closely with other scientists in the group to implement and perform biochemical and cellular assays including compound screening, data acquisition and analysis, and report generation.
• An important responsibility will be to investigate, identify, develop and optimize new methods/ techniques to generate reliable and reproducible data in a timely manner.
• The successful candidate will be expected to rapidly learn the daily operation of the lab, readily adapt to changing project needs, independently plan and execute projects, and develop sophisticated problem-solving skills.
• The candidate is expected to maintain fluency with the latest scientific literature and rationale surrounding project targets and to be an active contributor in group discussions on results interpretation and biology activity direction.
• Excellent teamwork and communication skills and adherence to good laboratory conduct, documentation practices and safety guidelines are essential.
Position will be hired based on level of education and experience.
• MS degree in biology with 2-5+ years experience or a BS degree in biology with 5-7+ years laboratory experience. Biochemistry and/or drug discovery experience a plus.
• Fundamentally sound understanding of biochemical principles including kinetics, thermodynamics, equilibrium binding and mechanistic enzymology essential.
• Fluency with general biology lab procedures such as those described above.
• Experience with spectroscopic techniques (especially fluorescence), safe handling of radioactive isotopes and assay automation preferred.
• Ability to interpret and document results, prepare reports, and present information to colleagues.
• Ability to independently conduct and interpret experiments and effectively function in a goal-oriented team environment.
• Previous experience in small molecule drug discovery, either in academic or industrial setting
• Experience in collaborative teamwork in a matrix environment
• Detailed working knowledge of the high through-assay approaches
Key Leadership Competencies:
• Builds strong relationships with peers and cross functionally with partners outside of team to enable higher performance
• Learns fast, grasps the 'essence' and can change the course quickly where indicated
• Raises the bar and is never satisfied with the status quo
• Creates a learning environment, open to suggestions and experimentation for improvement
• Embraces the ideas of others, nurtures innovation and manages innovation to reality