The Scientist II is responsible for assisting in the development and evaluation of new assays, enhancements to existing assays and instrument protocols. Assists in the execution of assay development experiments. Uses independent judgment to adapt and modify standard assay development techniques to solve assay or protocol challenges. Executes experiments independently and evaluates, discusses, presents and explains material of moderate complexity. Follows established procedures. Works under general direction, but may independently determine and define solutions to experimental problems.
Primary duties include the following:
- Supports the development of new assays and technologies.
- Performs experiments to evaluate and optimize new assay methods, under general supervision of a senior level scientist.
- Follows protocols, prepares technical reports and summaries.
- Tabulates and analyzes experimental data of moderate complexity.
- Presents data at group meetings.
- Contributes to the completion of milestones associated with specific projects. Failure to achieve results or erroneous decisions may cause delays in program schedules.
- Develops knowledge of BD Genomics products through training.
- Continues pursuit of molecular biology and genomics knowledge through seminars and webinars.
- Participates in functional and cross-functional training to advance technical capabilities.
- Participates in training on regulatory issues affecting reagent development. Brings experimental questions/issues to the attention of supervisor.
- Promotes a safe work environment. Offers recommendations on maintaining the safety of the work environment. Participates in Environmental Health & Safety programs. Participates in addressing corrective actions whenever a hazard is identified. Notifies supervisor of all observed unsafe work practices.
- Works under general supervision with moderate supervision.