Position Title: Scientist
Location: 17062 Murphy Ave, Irvine, CA 92614
Reports to: Director or R&D / CSO
Summary/Contribution of Position:
Perform or supervise the performance of laboratory and/or field experimental procedures in support of research in the DNA, or RNA and perform other related duties as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- 1. RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
- Develop nature and general plan of approach to basic research problems; read and abstract scientific articles pertaining to prosecution of broad research problems; proceed with independent direction to organize and work out all techniques involved.
- Plan, assign, and direct the work of several Research Associates, advising them on problems which they are unable to solve.
- Contribute original ideas of major methodological significance to the prosecution of laboratory and/or field phases of research.
- Take complete charge of the execution of laboratory phases of major research projects over considerable periods of time.
- Exercise judgment, initiative, and resourcefulness in making decisions.
- Carry responsibility for laboratory management and supervision of Research Associates, Laboratory Assistants, and Interns.
- Frequent contributions of (a) original ideas of major importance in the prosecution of laboratory and/or field phases of research and/or (b) interpretation of data yielded by new/original method(s) used or developed in the course of laboratory and/or field phases of research.
- Communicating effectively with research team, and manufacturing
- Meeting regularly with the research team to discuss project progress
- Ensuring that all research staff are informed about their project-related duties and investigational agents Execution of projects or major portions of research projects which have been broadly outlined by the CSO
- Engage in difficult and complex research projects in collaboration with Research Associates, making important original contributions pertaining to laboratory and/or field experimental procedures
- Engage in research and development to produce marketable products that product release may be maintained over a period of selling time
- Co-author scientific journal articles may and level of innovational contribution publicly.
- Standardize new techniques and train other staff personnel and students in their use.
- Maintain complete hand written reports (lab notebooks) on all phases of laboratory and/or field experimental work involved in research projects adhering to the Zymo Research Notebook Policy
- Participating in monitoring visits and government and private industry audits as appropriate
- Making available to monitors, auditors, and regulatory authority(ies) all requested project-related records
- ENSURES PROJECT COMPLIANCE
- Possessing a thorough understanding of the requirements of each project
- Assessing overall project feasibility
- Not implementing any project deviation or changes without agreement by the CSO and prior review and approval by ZRC (except to eliminate immediate hazards to the subject)
- ENSURES INITIAL AND ONGOING REVIEW
- Providing adequate information to initially review the study (i.e., projects, investigator's brochure, and any written information to be given to publications, or collateral material).
- Providing documents for ongoing review (i.e., amendments to the protocol, adverse events, deviations or new information)
- Securing CSO approval prior to initiating the study or instituting any changes to the project as approved.
- Providing written summaries of the trial status annually, or as requested
- Providing all documents subject to their review
- DETERMINES ADEQUATE RESOURCES ARE AVAILABLE TO CONDUCT THE STUDY
- Having adequate number of qualified staff to conduct the study
- Having adequate facilities to conduct the study
- Ensuring he/she has adequate time to conduct and supervise the study
- ENSURES DOCUMENTATION OF PROJECT-RELATED PROCEDURES, PROCESSES AND EVENTS
- Documenting deviations from the approved project
- Complying with written procedures to document changes to data and/or case report forms
- Maintaining project documents as required by the regulations
- ENSURES THE PROPER USE AND STORAGE OF INVESTIGATIONAL AGENTS
- Being thoroughly familiar with the use and disposal of the chemicals, and reagents
- Assuming responsibility for the project and components investigational product at the lab site
- Ensuring the proper use and storage of the investigational product(s) at the lab site
MAINTAINS PROFESSIONAL AND TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE
- Attending educational workshops and seminars
- Reviewing and writing for professional publications
- Participating in professional societies and associations
- Make formal presentations to association, university, and professional groups
- MARKETING AND PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- Responsible for conduct Beta-Testing with potential customers.
- Responsible for writing the packaging instructions (protocol)
- Collaborate with marketing on content for marketing collateral, website, and packaging
- Collaborate with product strategy with the manufacturing department
Project Leadership over teams
Education and Experience
2.5 - 3 years required with a Ph.D degree in Biochemistry, Microbiology, Genetics, Immunology, Virology, Molecular Biology or a related field.
3 years with Postdoctoral work, first-authored in 2 science publications, and second and third author in 2 secondary publications
Other Preferable Experience
A proven, sustained track record of sales success
Scientific objectivity and focus
Ability to execute and deliver
Project and team leadership