Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. Life at Illumina is about working with teammates who are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives. We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Just check out our investor events and presentations to learn about our financial accomplishments. Our growth isn’t just in financials, we’ve been busy hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies each of the last three years. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you. Join the journey of a lifetime. Join Illumina.
We are looking for a scientist with experience in Chemistry to contribute to a team within Consumables Development. Experience could be industrial or academic and could include oligonucleotide synthesis/modification, fluorescence, particle/bead modification, surface modification, biomaterials, (bio)conjugation chemistry, and/or the analytical techniques associated with these areas. We are particularly interested in candidates that bring a strong fundamental skill set to the table while having shown success working at the interface of chemistry and biology or chemistry and materials.
As a successful candidate you will work in a dynamic, team-oriented environment to create genomic analysis devices that enable leading-edge medical research. You will be a key contributor within integrated and multidisciplinary teams developing new, and improving existing nucleic acid sequencing and sample preparation technology platforms.
- Develop new and existing reactions at the chemistry, biochemistry and materials interface for Illumina’s sequencing and sample preparation platforms.
- Explore new reaction methodologies to expand the Illumina portfolio of sequencing and sample prep chemical transformations and isolation techniques.
- Perform in-depth analyses using techniques such as fluorescence spectroscopy, ellipsometry, FTIR, HPLC, NMR, GPC, SEC, QCM, and other techniques at the chemistry/materials interface.
- Modify surfaces and/or particles toward making functional materials at the biochemistry, chemistry, and/or physics interface.
- Perform and lead failure analysis.
- Teach methods developed to other scientists, engineers, research associates, of a range of experience and education levels.
- Work collaboratively with chemists, biochemists and bioinformaticians, developing new components for DNA analysis platforms.
- Present clear and concise written and oral communications to colleagues and supervisors, lead and/or participate in technical meetings, and provide recommendations based on technical results.
All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional task and responsibilities.
Preferred Educational Background:
The ideal candidate will have a PhD in Chemistry or a related field. Postdoctoral research is preferred.
Preferred Experiential Background:
Competitive candidates will have 0-3 years of industrial experience. In addition, candidates will have performed many (but not necessarily all) of the following:
- Demonstrated experience solving challenging, interdisciplinary problems at the interface of biology, chemistry and materials science
- Used fluorescence-based methods for protein or material labeling techniques such as characterization of surface functionalization and molecular interactions.
- Developed polymer chemistry or organic chemistry reactions in the context of materials or nanotechnology. This could include methods for bioconjugation and cross functionalization of materials.
- Demonstrated ability to overcome technical challenges in a fast-paced environment within an interdisciplinary team setting
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at 858-246-8959. To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf