All About Us
Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. We are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives.
We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Our revenue grew from $10 million in 2002 to approximately $2.2 billion in 2015. Our growth isn’t just revenue, we’ve been hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies list three years running, including #1 in 2014. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you – imagine the possibilities.
As a Metrology Scientist, you will provide technical leadership in new product introduction and production process development, improvement and sustaining efforts in a high volume biotech manufacturing environment. You will work with R&D, Quality, Manufacturing and other engineering groups to develop and implement test methods and metrology for new and existing products.
All About You
• Identify, select, develop, qualify, implement, and validate test methods and/or measurement systems for use in consumables manufacturing.
• Construct and execute controlled experiments (including DOE's and gauge R&R studies) to optimize test methods/equipment, and resolve quality issues.
• Analyze test results, issue reports and make technical recommendations.
• Work cross functionally with R&D, Manufacturing and Quality to develop metrology processes for new products and improve processes of existing products.
• Provide technical leadership to ensure optimal performance of production test methods and equipment.
• Define technical requirements and write procedures for inspection processes.
• Support development and transfer new processes/products to production and enhance their robustness.
• Drive implementation of solutions in a production environment to meet production goals.
Education & Experience Requirements:
• B.S. & 5+ yrs experience/M.S. & 3+ yrs experience/Ph.D. in: Materials Science or Physical Chemistry, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Biochemical/Biomedical/Biotechnical Engineering, Bioengineering
• Experience with developing analytical methods and tests for surface/materials characterization
• Experience with chromatographic, rheometric, and chemical material characterization techniques
• Strong background in surface characterization using complex measurement systems such as SEM, XPS, TOF-SIMS, AFM, tensiometry, FTIR, Raman spectroscopy, fluorescence/optical microscopy, profilometry, and vision systems
• Work experience in the biotech, pharmaceutical or semiconductor industries is desirable
• High level problem solving and reasoning skills required.
• High-level experience with complex statistical analyses, Statistical Process Control and DOE techniques required.
• High level computer and analysis software platform(s) experience/skills are required. Intermediate level programming knowledge is strongly desired. Software communication and application programming interface/wrapper knowledge strongly desired. Experience with turnkey solutions, integration, and custom applications desired.
• Experience with large volume manufacturing in a high tech consumables industry is required.
• Experience with product development processes and project management is a plus.
• Experience with physical and chemical processes, microfluidics, and complex assemblies a plus
• Good interdepartmental communication skills and documentation skills are required.
• Demonstrated ability to prioritize and accomplish goals while working across departments is essential.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.