Illumina is a dynamic life sciences company developing groundbreaking sequencing and microarray technologies for genome analysis. Our growing Oncology department is striving to develop technologies that will transform basic cancer research and improve diagnostics and prediction of treatment response in cancer by using medical specimens such as archived tissue samples, blood samples and circulating tumor DNA.
As a Scientist I in the Oncology business unit, you will support the development of sample preparation products for Oncology using Illumina’s technology. You will be part of multidisciplinary team solving complex problems and working on integration issues. You will be expected to understand product development goals and follow design control processes.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
- Plan and execute various laboratory activities with limited instruction
- Work on extremely complex problems as part of collaborative team
- Perform routine chemical and biochemical testing
- Using standard laboratory instrumentation: i.e. UV-VIS, BioAnalyzer/Fragment Analyzer, fluorescence plate readers, liquid handling robotics, thermocyclers
- Produce and test complex reagents while maintaining proper documentation
- Hands-on development of sample preparation kits for DNA and RNA sequencing systems - including working with bioinformatics on data analysis and interpretation
- System level testing, assay testing, and data analysis on large complex data sets
- Participating in product development activities such as planning, feasibility, development and transfer
- Draft documents such as work instructions and SOPs
- Keeping a laboratory notebook
- Present written and verbal updates, write reports, and conduct technical meetings
- Exercises independent judgment in developing methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for obtaining result
Skills, Education & Experience:
- PhD degree in the Biological Sciences
- 1-3 years’ experience in development, especially in DNA and RNA analysis
- Product development experience, including assay optimization, DOEs, integration and testing, transfer to production, and documentation
- Experience with diagnostic assays, clinical work environments or oncology test development preferred
- Experience with IVD product development is desired
- Experience with reagent development for instrumentation is desired
- A sound foundation in experimental design and molecular biology is desired
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A desire to be part of a fast-paced dynamic Development environment
- Strong data analysis skills, ability to interpret and draw conclusions quickly from large data sets
- Sound knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint required
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information.
Do you want to make a difference? Illumina’s mission is to improve human health by unlocking the power of the genome. If that inspires you, let’s talk. We’ve built a culture fueled by innovation, collaboration and openness, and established ourselves as the global leader in DNA sequencing and array-based technologies. Our people and our technology change lives by driving advancements in life sciences, oncology, reproductive health, agriculture and other emerging markets. We are deeply passionate about what we do, because we know that our work has the power to improve lives.
We’re an established company with a track record of phenomenal growth. Our revenue grew from $10 million in 2002 to approximately $2.2 billion in 2015. Our growth isn’t just revenue, we’ve been hiring the best and the brightest. Perhaps that’s why MIT has ranked Illumina near the top of its World’s Smartest Companies list three years running, including #1 in 2014. If you thrive in a brilliant, fast-paced, and mission-driven environment, Illumina is the place for you – imagine the possibilities.