The Ensembl Project, based at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI), is one of the leading providers of genome annotation. We seek a talented and experienced programmer to join our Variation Annotation team.
Large-scale sequencing projects are producing genomic data on an unprecedented scale, providing extensive variant catalogues in many species and leading to the discovery of rare human variants. These data have the potential to drive an improved understanding of genetic disease, evolution and population genetics. The Ensembl Team aggregates and annotates large quantities of data from public archives and develops tools for data access, visualisation and variant interpretation, including the Ensembl Variant Effect Predictor.
The Scientific Programmer will work as part of the Variation Annotation team whose responsibilities will include:
- Developing efficient methods for the management of large scale variation data;
- Developing and maintaining tools for the functional annotation of variants;
- Designing and building databases of genomic variation;
- Developing and maintaining our Perl and REST APIs;
- Identifying and integrating of new sources of variation and phenotype data;
- Developing effective ways of displaying variation data;
- Liaising with members of the broader Ensembl team and other groups at EMBL-EBI;
- Teaching API courses, providing user support and presenting at conferences;
- Collaborating on international projects including GA4GH, GWAS Catalog, LRG.