Scientific Engineering Associate (Sample Management & Library Group Lead) - 82732
Organization: JG-Joint Genome Institute
Berkeley Lab is bringing Science Solutions to the World, and YOU can be a part of it!
In the world of science, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) is synonymous with "excellence." That's why we hire the best - whether in research, science or operations. This is a great opportunity to bring your top-notch skills to bear in support of world-class scientific research that addresses national and global challenges!
The Department of Energy Joint Genome Institute (DOE JGI, a division of Berkeley Lab) has an exciting opportunity for a Scientific Engineering Associate to lead the Sample Management & Library Group. Reporting to the Sequencing Technology Group Lead, this position will be responsible for providing multifunctional technical support and guidance, applying scientific concepts and practices to oversee the day-to-day activities of the team.
• Manage day-to-day library production pipeline including planning, scheduling and coordinating as well as sample management, library creation, library QC and submission of libraries via integrated tracking system.
• Develop and maintain Standard Operating Procedures and optimize laboratory protocols.
• Understand sequencing data output, troubleshoot for process failures and provide resolution to technical problems.
• Coordinate implementation of new technology or new protocols into production.
• Prepare experimental plans, analyze results and present the findings.
• Utilize technical scientific concepts and Lab policies and procedures to troubleshoot a variety of problems to improve library/ data quality.
• Work closely with software developers to establish Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS) to support new protocols/workflow or to improve/ streamline existing workflow in the tracking system.
• Familiar with the tracking system, provide training to the group members and provide useful input to the informatics team to improve the performance.
• Assist with the technology transfer of automation for existing library protocols
• Participate in cross-team and cross-group collaborative projects in the Sequencing Technology Group.
• Stay current on new technology trends and attend various group meetings to discuss and evaluate new technologies.
• Interact with program managers to track samples and provide technical write-up to JGI user community.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a life science field and a clear understanding and extensive experience with high-throughput sequencing, genomics and/or other biological programs or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Proficiency utilizing high-throughput automated systems and equipment and proficiency in process optimization methodologies.
• Demonstrated substantial knowledge and expertise in electronics and / or laboratory technology.
• Judgment and expertise in identifying and resolving moderately complex and broad-reaching conflicts and problems,
• Prioritization and teamwork skills to work effectively with diverse technical, scientific and operational teams.
• Ability to effectively supervise and provide direction, training, guidance and performance manage a diverse team.
• Proven ability to work independently to design, develop, implement, monitor and complete projects/work assignments.
• Experience sufficient to effectively hire, train, coach and performance manage employees.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills and the ability to write clear and concise technical descriptions.
• Competence in organizing and presenting reports to collaborators, JGI staff, management, and sponsors.
• Effective interpersonal skills necessary for working in a diverse team environment.
• Strong computer experience including strong database skills and use of the internet, email, and standard office software.
• Detail oriented, excellent record keeping, organization skills and follow through.
• Excellent customer service experience and proven experience working with internal and external staff, collaborators, external users of genomic/sequencing data, and end users.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
• This is a 1 year, term appointment with the possibility of renewal and with the possibility of conversion to career.
• Salary is commensurate with experience.
• DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) — 2800 Mitchell Dr., Walnut Creek, CA
• This position requires completion of a background check.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://188.8.131.52/counter.php?id=75143 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingL...). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".