Scientific Engineering Associate (Sample Management Lead)-79976
The DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) in Walnut Creek, CA (a division of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab) has an immediate team lead opportunity as part of the Sample Management group. This position plays an important role in production planning, operations and technology development. The lead is responsible for the weekly and quarterly capacity/throughput of the group and coordinating with supply chain management.
The position will help ensure that the workflow and essential logistical activities are accomplished and will evaluate various solutions to improve the efficiency, accuracy and cost of the sample management process. Will continuously design, test, and analyze new processes and protocols to improve the efficiency and quality of sample receiving, QC and aliquot accuracy and efficiency. Will closely interact and collaborate with the library group, instrumentation and informatics groups, as well as project management offices. The position reports to the Sequencing Technologies Group Lead.
• Serve as a team lead and develop a state-of-the-art sample management system, ranging from sample receipt, sample handling through sample tracking.
• Utilize automation platforms and their utilities to build an efficient sample tracking, archival and retrieval system that can be flexible to handle a variety of biological sample types and project goals.
• Continuously optimize the sample processing protocols, instruments, reagents and troubleshooting for problematic areas.
• Manage the day-to-day operation of sample management and oversee several staff members.
• Establish goals and objectives and contribute to the success of meeting scientific and technical goals of the team.
• Work closely with software developers to implement systems in addition to physical tube management. Will be familiar the use of the system, provide training to the group members and provide useful input to the informatics team to improve the performance.
• Resolve technical problems with data or situational analysis.
• Conduct and improve the sample acquisition process that includes, barcode assignment and internal sample QC and sample aliquots; provide technical support and guidance for users to help them extract high quality material.
• Responsible for self-directed experimentation and validation aimed at improving data quality and reducing materials cost through continuous improvement.
• Participate in cross-team and cross-group collaborative projects in the Sequencing Technology Group.
• Generate a complete set of documentation for all technology and optimization projects.
• Collaborate with members of the new technology development teams to assure that proper procedures are followed to introduce new protocols.
• Attend various new technology group meetings to discuss technology as well as learn about new technology.
• Interact with vendors to explore commercial solutions short, mid and long term.
• May present research work at meetings and conferences.
• May produce monthly progress report on new technology and optimization projects.
• Under supervision, may optimize sample preparation, nucleic acid extraction and purification protocol from a diverse user groups to fit the sequencing technical requirements and project needs.
• B.S degree in Biology, Engineering or related discipline plus extensive professional technical experience in a research laboratory or an equivalent combination of education and experience; Genome Center experience is highly advantageous.
• Experience with DNA and RNA assays for qualitative and quantitative assessment.
• Experience utilizing high-throughput automated systems/equipment and proficiency in process optimization methodologies is highly preferred.
• Proficiency with DNA and sequencing methods and/or of probability theory (probability distribution functions, random variables, etc.).
• Proficient analytical skills with a high degree of initiative, flexibility, judgment and resourcefulness.
• Effective interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and presentation skills; proven ability to work autonomously as well as part of a diverse team environment.
• Ability to effectively communicate downstream to work centers including instruction, work load, related challenges; judgment to escalate issues as needed.
• Supervisory or lead experience sufficient to effectively hire, train, coach and performance manage employees.
• Advanced use of tracking systems to effectively manage time/deadlines, define workflow, assign staff and plan logistics accordingly; ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
• Familiarity with issues related to sequence quality and assembly.
• Detail-orientation with organizational and record-keeping skills.
• Proficiency with computers and related software programs, e.g., PC, Mac, and UNIX operating systems.
Notes: This is a 2-year term appointment with the possibility of renewal and/or conversion to career based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds, and ongoing operational needs. The position has a standard day shift schedule. However, the successful candidate may need to work and interact with staff on a later shift. Work will be performed at the DOE Joint Genome Institute (JGI) in Walnut Creek, CA. A background check is required.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=13176 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Rapid technological advances in genomics have transformed modern biology. From its inception, the Department of Energy Joint Genome Institute has been at the forefront of large-scale sequence-based science. Learn more at www.jgi.doe.gov. This position is part of the Sequencing Technologies Group that provides end-to-end support for the DOE JGI production sequencing activities. Our group applies state-of-the-art automation-based processing technologies coupled with high throughput sequencing operation to support our global DOE research community. Learn more about Genomic Technologies at the JGI.
Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. www.lbl.gov