Gloucester Marine Genomics Institute is committed to bringing the modern sciences of genomics and proteomics to marine science as well as solving important problems needed for the sustainability of North Atlantic Ocean species and their ecosystems. The Science Director will work on a wide variety of projects, collaborating with scientists from the worldwide network of marine institutions as well as regulatory agencies such as NOAA.
The Science Director will work with the GMGI Science Advisory Board to ensure implementation and completion of all science goals, will be the primary contact with the external funding agencies and collaborative entities, and will represent GMGI in the community of worldwide marine science institutes. The Director will prepare and submit grant proposals, essential for building research revenue as well as prepare manuscripts for publication, and be responsible for the budget and management of resources relevant to science programs.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Develop and execute science strategy relevant to GMGI’s mission under the direction of the Executive Director and the Science Advisory Board.
- Build a science staff, from PhD level to entry level technicians, and provide direction and mentoring to form a professional, inspired and successful research team.
- Oversee selection, purchase and maintenance of equipment and participate in the design of GMGI’s permanent research facilities.
- Participate in proposal preparation, progress reports, and strategic planning
- Secure and manage resources for complex projects and execute according to funding and project schedules. Oversee budgets, schedules and performance requirements for contracts.
- Identify research collaborations to expand and achieve the GMGI science mission.
- Establish the GMGI science foundation and expertise in topics relevant to the Cape Ann region, and work with local stakeholders to make GMGI the local science support resource.