Conduct research on microarray genotyping and gene expression which include the following duties:
* Prepare RNA and DNA samples for microarray, gene expression protocols, genotyping, nucleic acid quality and integrity checks.
* Develop new and/or effectively use/revise established laboratory protocols necessary to successfully conduct microarray genotyping and gene expression experiments and to disseminate data files.
* Provide training and troubleshooting assistance to users preparing samples for microarray processing with real-time PCR utilizing laboratory instruments, including Nano Drop, Speed-vac, gel imager, and Qubit.
* Monitor supply and reagent usage by the unit and order/purchase stock as necessary to avoid disruptions in workflow. Maintain electronic files of these purchases. Utilize a P-card and comply with applicable regulations. Obtain quotations from sales reps for new purchases and comply with university procurement regulations. Maintain packing list receipts for unit.
* Collaborate with facility users on data analysis; create experiment reports and quality control summaries.
* Monitor unit collection and storage of hazardous waste. Maintain current appropriate safety and handling training with the University's Division of Research & Safety. Complete and submit paperwork to request and coordinate waste collection according to current regulations. Maintain collections records.
* Maintain equipment and troubleshoot repairs. Coordinate equipment maintenance and repairs with service vendors, as needed.
* Prepare and deliver scientific presentations and demonstrations for unit workshops. Prepare and submit required monthly usage and billing reports.
* Write materials and methods section for manuscript submissions to peer-reviewed journals. Edit submissions and other technical documents for accuracy. Participate in publication of manuscripts.
* As time allows, attend seminars and read publications relevant to current areas of research and perform other duties.