Summary: This position involves the management, organization, coordination, and conduction of experiments for a multi-institutional biomedical pig cancer research initiative. The position will contribute to the design and delivery of bench top and translational research projects, as well as collaboration with researchers to develop, execute, and interpret research projects. Research Specialists will perform complex laboratory and data collection techniques while managing daily activities for Department of Defense (DOD) and National Institutes of Health (NIH) funded projects. The position will play an instrumental role in coordination and conduct of experiments leading to preliminary data for grant applications
Position Reports to: Principal Investigator/Professor
• Manage laboratory activities and conduct experiments related to an innovative transgenic pig cancer model currently funded by the NIH and DOD.
• Collaborate with Principal Investigator and researchers to develop objectives and design of research projects and proposals.
• Formulate and conduct scientific experiments and analyses. Perform complex data collection and laboratory techniques. Analyze and evaluate test and research results. Communicate results in a timely manner to team members across work sites.
• Replicate, refine, and add new research approaches based on project needs. Test, customize, and implement new methods, procedures, and techniques.
• Develop and write advanced, comprehensive experimental protocols.
• Develop and write Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) and Institutional Review Board (IRB) protocols for submission and approval; maintain approval of new and existing protocols.
• Monitor project developments on an ongoing basis. Propose and implement changes as needed.
• Ensure lab personnel compliance with all standard operating procedures and required training including biological, chemical, and radiation safety.
• Facilitate purchasing, maintain experimental and financial records, and conduct semi-independent research.
• Perform molecular biology and cell culture techniques, including collection, processing, and storage of tissues, cell isolation, purification, and maintenance in culture, cell staining, DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, and qPCR.
• Contribute material, prepare results and assist in the writing of research findings for publications, papers, presentations, grants, and other documents for publication.
• Assist principal investigator in grant and manuscript submission.
• Acts as a liaison between departments and research teams when necessary.
• Guide, train and advise lower level researchers and students on techniques, methods and procedures.
• Hire, train, and supervise undergraduate students
• Perform other related duties and participate in special projects as assigned.