The Department of Genome Sciences currently has an outstanding opportunity for a RESEARCH SCIENTIST ENGINEER 2.
The Research Scientist will conduct laboratory research focusing on the identification of DNA variation in human populations in a high-throughput genomics laboratory in the Department of Genome Sciences. This position will requires expertise in molecular biology and genomics protocols and the ability to perform research and take responsibility for assuring quality, cost effectiveness and timeliness for large projects.
The Research Scientist will work under immediate supervision to meet project deadlines and complete assigned tasks by implementing well-established protocols and evaluating and developing new protocols. Weekly meetings are held to discuss project status.
- Carry out laboratory protocols for next-generation DNA and RNA library preparation and sequencing on Illumina platforms.
- Perform standard molecular biology protocols and assist in the development of new methods for DNA, RNA, and methylation analysis.
- Develop and maintain precise laboratory protocols and records.
- Work within a laboratory team environment to process and track DNA and RNA samples.
- Program and operate robotics stations for sample preparation.
- Implement quality-assurance protocols.
- Perform routine assessment of data quality. Assist with trouble-shooting and daily quality control of data.
- Aid in the development of new experimental methods and assist laboratory co-workers and/or the PI in meeting long-term scientific goals.
- Attend Genome Sciences and University meetings, retreats, status updates, orientations and planning days when necessary.
- Other duties may be assigned.