The GS Department has an outstanding opportunity for a Research Scientist/Engineer 2 (RSE 2). The RSE2 will execute laboratory projects directly and provide experimental support for projects investigating the role of genomic structural variation in human disease and primate evolution for the Principal Investigator (PI), postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students. This lab is involved in several different projects simultaneously. Techniques used will include DNA sequencing, genomic clone characterization, and gene/protein characterization.
This position will work in a prominent laboratory whose work impacts other researchers worldwide. High functionality will be reflected in even greater funding opportunities and enhancement of the reputation of the University as a biomedical research powerhouse.
Core responsibilities include the following:
• Design experiments using novel and innovative methods and examine proposals to determine the projects and methodologies best suited to the research objectives. The RSE 2 may seek guidance as needed from the Principal Investigator and Senior Fellows in the lab.
• Independently perform intricate scientific procedures and operate complex scientific equipment, including HiSeq 2000, 2500, NextSeq 500, MiSeq and PacBio RSII.
• Independently perform standard molecular biology techniques, including array comparative genomic hybridization (aCGH), cloning, PCR, and DNA and RNA isolation.
• Use DNA sequence analysis software applications to assemble, manipulate, format and/or perform statistical analyses of data.
• Independently prepare and present written and oral reports of experimental results.
• Write and edit manuscripts; to include: assembly, organization, analysis and interpretation of data.
• Train and direct the work of other laboratory personnel with respect to proper laboratory techniques, the use of laboratory equipment, and safety procedures.
• May direct the operation of one or more facets of the research laboratory.
• May evaluate and assist in the selection of new equipment and laboratory procedures.
• Perform the duties of Research Technician II as required.