Research Scientist, Reagent and Consumable Product Development
Temporary (12 months)/Full time, Cambridgeshire, UK
Industry leading remuneration package, which would include company equity, annual bonus scheme, 10% pension, private healthcare and more!
Headquartered in San Diego, California, Illumina (NASDAQ: ILMN), is a leading developer, manufacturer, and marketer of next generation life science tools and integrated systems for large-scale analysis of genetic variation and biological function. These systems are enabling studies that were not even imaginable just a few years ago, and moving us closer to the realization of personalized medicine. With the innovative advances in our sequencing technologies, we are rapidly impacting the clinical market in areas such as reproductive health and oncology. The expanding Illumina oncology portfolio of next- generation sequencing NGS and microarray technologies is revolutionizing cancer genomics research. Our customers include a broad range of academic, government, pharmaceutical, biotechnology, and other leading institutions around the globe.1
This is a unique opportunity to join a talented team of scientists developing groundbreaking sequencing technologies that are transforming healthcare and basic research. You will join the dynamic, multidisciplinary, team that builds, optimizes and commercialises the core biochemistries that underpin Illumina Sequencing platforms. You will be responsible for developing high performance, robust and very well characterized products, assays and processes that meet the needs and expectations of a wide range of customers, including those using Illumina technologies for diagnostic applications. You should have prior experience of commercial product development. Experience of developing diagnostic assays and of working under Quality System regulations is also desirable.
Job duties include but are not limited to:
· Participate in development projects for Illumina’s DNA sequencers, designing and testing new reagents and assays in an effort to improve sequencing accuracy & throughput, system robustness, performance and cost.
· Design experiments, implement, analyse and present results.
· Optimise and simplify assay conditions to achieve commercial levels of stability, robustness and performance.
· Solve complex developmental challenges and troubleshoot technical issues within sequencing workflows.
· Presentation of results to colleagues.
· Document plans, processes and results, in accordance with Illumina product development processes and appropriate quality system regulations.
· Build strong working relationships across sites and functional areas
· Be both a strong individual contributor as well as a collaborative team member across sites and functional areas
Education and Experience:
· Minimum of a degree in a molecular biology, biochemistry or biological sciences. PhD preferred.
· Experience in commercial product development, preferably in the molecular diagnostics or biochemistry area.
· Strong background in biochemistry and molecular biology methods with a sound understanding of assay development requirements.
· Strong verbal and written communication skills of complex issues, to rigorously report and document technical progress, plans and results.
· Able to work effectively under pressure to meet scheduled deadlines and handle multiple activities simultaneously.
· Strong data analysis skills, with the ability to interpret and draw conclusions from large amounts of complex data.
· Experience with transfer of new products and processes to manufacturing and/or QC desired.
· Highly motivated, detailed individual with the proven ability to think innovatively toward solving problems effectively and efficiently
· Must be able to work as part of a fast paced, multidisciplinary and dynamic environment.
This is a rare opportunity to work with a team at that develops core products for Illumina’s NGS technology platform. It would suit an experienced scientist who can clearly demonstrate the ability to develop robust assays for a fast paced product development function. Candidates form disciplines/industries such as medical diagnostics and clinical detection would be encouraged to apply.
Interested parties will need to apply via our careers website using the reference 6869BR.