Position Title: Research Scientist in Microbiomics
Location: 17062 Murphy Ave, Irvine, CA 92614
Reports to: Director or R&D / CSO
Summary/Contribution of Position:
Perform or supervise the performance of laboratory and/or field experimental procedures in support of research in the DNA, or RNA and perform other related duties as required. Candidate should be well versed in microbial genomics and microbial community studies, and will have responsibilities in both the laboratory (direct and supervisory) as well as in business development (including marketing, product development, and networking).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- 1. RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT
- Possess strong background in microbial genomics and community dynamics (“Microbiomics”).
- Develop the nature and general plan of approach to basic research problems; read and abstract scientific articles pertaining to prosecution of broad research problems; proceed with independent direction to organize and work out all techniques involved.
- Plan, assign, and direct the work of several Research Associates, Laboratory Assistants, and Interns, advising them on problems which they are unable to solve, with regular meetings to discuss progress.
- Contribute original ideas of major methodological significance to the prosecution of laboratory and/or field phases of research.
- Take complete charge of the execution of laboratory phases of major research projects over considerable periods of time.
- Frequent contributions of (a) original ideas of major importance in the prosecution of laboratory and/or field phases of research and/or (b) interpretation of data yielded by new/original method(s) used or developed in the course of laboratory and/or field phases of research.
- Communicating effectively between the research team, marketing, and manufacturing
- Engage in research and development to produce marketable products that product release may be maintained over a period of selling time
- Co-author scientific journal articles may and level of innovational contribution publicly.
- 2. MAINTAINS PROFESSIONAL AND TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE
- Attending educational workshops and seminars on the topic of Microbiomics and related fields.
- Reviewing and writing for professional publications
- Participating in professional societies and associations
- Make formal presentations to association, university, and professional groups
- MARKETING AND PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT
- Responsible for conduct Beta-Testing with potential customers, and networking to seek out potential Beta-Testers
- Responsible for writing the packaging instructions (protocol)
- Collaborate with marketing on content for marketing collateral, website, and packaging
- Collaborate with product strategy with the manufacturing department
- Research Associates
- Project Leadership over teams
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D in, Microbiology, Genomics, Immunology, Genetics, Virology, Biochemistry Molecular Biology or a related field.
- 3 years of post-doctoral work, first-authored in 2 scientific publications, and second and third author in 2 secondary publications.
- Experience with Microbiomics or Metagenomics data is required.
- Knowledge in computational statistics and computational mathematics is desired.
- Ability to use scripting languages such as Perl, Python, R and MySQL is desired.
Other Preferable Experience:
- A proven, sustained track record of sales success
- Experience in business development or project management
- Scientific objectivity and focus
- Ability to execute and deliver; see project to completion
- Project and team leadership
- Customer Service
- Excellent writing skills
- Team Player