Location: Coralville, Iowa, United States of America
Job Category: STEM (Includes IT)
Job ID: R1120742
The Research Scientist II, under minimal supervision, conducts bench scientific experimentation that advances the basic science of nucleic acids and nucleic acid biochemistry and assists with development and characterization of new IDT genomics products in NGS, qPCR and functional genomics. This position is responsible for planning and executing experiments, analyzing data and reporting/presenting findings as well as supporting IDT customers.
This specific Research Scientist will be involved in developing and aiding in the commercialization of new CRISPR genome editing technologies through executing experiments at the bench, collaborating with IDT's Product Management department and interacting with IDT customers. The ideal candidate would possess industry experience with a combination of basic science and product management skills.
- Applies knowledge of basic science and employs solid laboratory skills to execute bench experiments using variety of molecular biology, cell biology, biochemical and general laboratory techniques as directed.
- Plans experimental details required for execution of assigned work under minimal to moderate oversight.
- Analyzes raw data, reports results and plans the next steps.
- Utilizes mathematical, graphical, imaging, nucleic acid analysis, and other software aids as needed.
- Operates and maintains laboratory equipment.
- Maintains accurate and detailed records of experimental work.
- Assists in the preparation of technical reports for internal use.
- Assists in filing invention disclosures and writing manuscripts for publication.
- Interacts with and assists other members of the R&D team as needed to meet research objectives.
- Interacts with internal departments and IDT customers to assist with customer service/technical support and to advance collaborative research projects as directed.
- Presents information at group meetings as directed.
- Leads or participates in the maintenance of laboratory and equipment
- Introduces new techniques into the research group which have not previously been used at IDT.
- Represents IDT at scientific conference and trade shows, assists in preparing and presenting scientific posters.
- Uses radioactive materials and autoradiography, on occasion, during the course of experimental work.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the Integrated DNA Technologies Core Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree (in Biology, Genetics, Chemistry or a related life sciences field) with three or more years relevant lab experience required
- Master's degree (in Biology, Genetics, Chemistry or a related life sciences field) with one or more years relevant lab experience preferred
- Proficiency in a variety of PC software programs with strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office required.
- Previous experience with primer/probe design and statistical tools for DOE preferred.
Other Job Qualifications:
- Ability to train others in basic laboratory techniques and equipment operation.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to multitask and maintain several projects at one time.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to communicate with peers and all levels of management.
- Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another without loss of efficiency or composure.
- Ability to maintain both a high standard of courtesy and cooperation in dealing with co-workers.
- Ability to accept responsibility for the direction, control or planning of an activity.
- Adaptability to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances or standards.
- Ability to perform repetitive work or to perform continuously the same work, according to set procedures sequence or pace.
Exert up to 20 lbs. of force occasionally and/or up to 10 lbs. of force frequently
What We Offer:
- Generous Paid Time Off Accruals
- 16 Hours PAID Volunteer Time Off
- 10 Paid Holidays
- Up to eight (8) weeks of 100% paid parental leave to eligible U.S. associates
- 401(k) with Company Match
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance Options
Integrated DNA Technologies (IDT) conducts drug screens and background checks on applicants who accept employment offers.
Danaher Corporation and all Danaher Companies are equal opportunity employers that evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or other characteristics protected by law. The "EEO is the Law" poster is available here .