The Center for the Development of Therapeutics (CDoT) at The Broad Institute brings together experts from academia and industry to drive innovation in solving therapeutics challenges widely considered intractable. Like other Broad initiatives, CDoT works with Broad programs and platforms in an integrated, collaborative, and overarching effort to transform the understanding and treatment of disease. For more information about CDoT, please visit: http://www.broadinstitute.org/scientific-community/science/programs/csof....
The Broad Institute is in search of a highly motivated and capable Research Scientist to join the Center for the Development of Therapeutics (CDoT). CDoT is committed to developing and applying novel drug discovery approaches and technologies to address critical unmet medical needs not being tackled elsewhere. The successful candidate will share this commitment and be part of a multidisciplinary team that drives innovation to solve therapeutic challenges.
The primary role for this position is to drive therapeutic discovery by executing strategies to produce challenging protein targets and elucidating the underlying protein biology of these targets. The successful candidate will demonstrate expertise in the cloning, expression, and purification of recombinant proteins from a variety of cell systems as well as in assessing protein quality and function through biophysical analysis of stability and protein-protein interactions.
More specifically, responsibilities include:
• Leads and executes strategies to produce high-quality protein in the pursuit of novel therapeutics
• Identifies and resolves technical and methodological problems
• Leads and executes strategies to clone and express recombinant proteins in a variety of cell culture systems
• Devising and implementing chromatographic purification protocols for tagged or native proteins
• Assessing protein purity, stability and functionality using a wide repertoire of analytical and biophysical techniques (analytical size exclusion chromatography, static/dynamic light scattering, mass spectrometry, biolayer interferometry/surface plasmon resonance, and calorimetry)
• Investigating and implementing new technologies based on scientific needs
• Training others in areas of expertise
• Effectively presenting results to cross-functional project teams and working across various platforms and programs to achieve results
• Express and purify proteins using a broad range of systems
• Build expression clones using molecular biology techniques
• Analyze proteins and protein-protein interactions through biophysical methods
• Mentor trainees in fields of expertise
• Contribute to project evaluation and planning through project meetings across Broad platforms, programs and affiliates
• Maintain scientific record using appropriate notebooking and data retention methods
• Maintain laboratory equipment
• Ph.D in Biochemistry, Biophyics or a related life science field with at least 2 years of post-degree research experience in an industrial or academic setting
• Expertise in a variety of protein expression systems (bacterial, mammalian, insect, yeast, in vitro) required
• Expertise in recombinant protein purification through multiple techniques (affinity, ion exchange, size exclusion) required
• Significant experience with molecular biology and vector construction required
• Experience with biophysical protein technologies (e.g. Biolayer interferometry, static/dyamic light scattering, surface plasmon resonance, calorimetry) highly preferred
• Experience with high-throughput cloning, expression and purification technologies preferred
• A proven record of successful interaction with project team members, external customers or vendors required
The successful candidate will be a results-focused, team-oriented, creative bench scientist able to excel in a fast-track environment. She or he must be self-motivated, detail-oriented and exhibit strong problem solving skills. In addition, the successful candidate should be a clear and effective communicator, demonstrating strong interpersonal skills to enable collaboration with project teams, peers, and management in identifying and achieving research goals.
If interested, please apply online at http://track.tmpservice.com/ApplyClick.aspx?id=2198481-2647-1421