The Jackson Laboratory of Genomic Medicine in Farmington, CT is seeking a Research Laboratory Manager to maintain and coordinate routine lab activities and departmental/Institutional policies concerning environmental and infection control, biosafety. The incumbent would also be involved in a variety of cytogenetic and molecular genetic experiments including fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH), array-based comparative genomic hybridization (aCGH), PCR/RT-PCR/DDPCR, DNA sequencing.
• Achieves a high level of professional/scientific skill or knowledge in specific area(s) and keeps up with current developments and trends in area(s) of expertise.
• Knowledge of the scientific principles, methods and processes (technical and/or theoretical) used to conduct a systematic and objective inquiry including experimental design, methods of data collection and analysis, and interpreting and reporting results.
• Provides oversight of technical and administrative activities in a research setting including quality assurance and safety programs; coordinates and manages facilities, equipment, supplies and related resources; monitors environmental risks and quality control; understands and complies with safety standards to maintain a safe environment. Create laboratory safety manuals and train new employees.
• Performs tests, procedures and experiments applying specialized skills, knowledge and equipment; modifies and refines techniques and procedures to meet research objectives; manages multiple, concurrent projects or a multi-faceted project. Trouble shoots new protocols.
• Writes and updates lab research protocols and/or Standard Operation Procedures (SOP).
• Collects research data to assess accuracy, validity, and integrity. Performs statistical analysis; interprets and evaluates results.
• Prepares research reports, manuscripts, and/or presentations.
• Trains and supervises staff, students, and other members at the lab in the performance of procedures and operation of equipment.
• Perform vendor review, selection and negotiation for procurement of lab suppliers, equipment, and maintenance contracts.
• Ensure that the laboratory equipment is properly calibrated and maintained.
• Organize and lead regular lab cleanup sessions and maintain common area including cold rooms, liquid nitrogen storage and gel imaging stations.
• Conduct internal inspections of the laboratory, coordinate certifications and prepare quarterly reports.
• Makes travel arrangements for lab members and invited guests including acquiring travel approval numbers, booking flights/hotels/rental car, processing all travel expense reports and expenditures for reimbursement.
• Assists research grant applications for the lab including preparations of the application documents and IRB approvals.
• Coordinates and attends Lab meetings. Takes note and writes minutes for each lab meeting.
• Serve as a liaison between the PI and the lab members.