We are seeking to recruit a research information analyst (data scientist) for Europe PMC, joining the Literature Services Team at the European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) located on the Wellcome Trust Genome Campus near Cambridge in the UK.
Europe PMC is the database of life sciences abstracts and full text articles that incorporates both PubMed and PMC content. Europe PMC is free to use, is updated daily (currently holding over 30 million abstracts and 4.2 million full text articles), and is supported by 27 funders of life sciences research. In addition to providing powerful search and retrieval mechanisms for the content, we also collaborate to integrate content with ORCIDs, citation networks, supporting data, funding information and other resources that provide relevant information for our users. Finally, we engage with the text mining community to improve literature integration with data and our search and browse systems.
We are seeking a research information analyst or data scientist to help us ensure data quality across all of our services, and though analysis of those data, recognise trends in scientific publishing, emerging standards and user behaviour patterns. We need to ensure that we are responsive to innovations in publishing, both scientific and technical, wish to extend our collaboration network, and improve services for our users. We are therefore looking for a versatile analyst to elicit stories from the data in Europe PMC and translate these insights into potential actions. As well as having the technical skills to manipulate large datasets, you will need to have a curiosity-driven mode of operation and a desire to share the insights discovered with both the technical team, in order to improve the user experience, and colleagues more broadly in the field, in order to extend collaborative activities.
Specific job responsibilities include:
- Make recommendations on data quality improvements to the technical team
- Provide analytics on incoming content regarding the uptake and implementation of new publishing trends and standards e.g. data citation
- Analysis on article content, combined with additional data such as ORCIDs, supporting datasets and so on.
- With our user research team, provide analytics and insights on user behaviour on the website
- Outreach to aligned projects and resources in the scholarly communications ecosystem
- Represent Europe PMC at workshops and meetings, as appropriate