The successful applicant must be highly motivated to contribute to fulfilling the research objectives of the PCB with a focus on the development and application of metabolic phenotyping/metabolomics to medical research. The job will primarily focus on sample preparation and data acquisition applying mass spectrometry platforms. The job will also involve extensive collaborations with researchers and clinicians within and external to the university (academic, industry, scientific instrument manufacturers).
- Perform sample analysis by applying primarily non-targeted (and targeted) LC-MS (and LCMS/MS) methods for analysis of small molecules in human and human-related samples
- Ensure optimal operation of PCB instrumentation, including routine maintenance and troubleshooting instrumental problems, to meet goals in a timely and efficient manner
- Apply rigorous and effective project planning and research project management, from sample arrival through to report writing
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive records of protocols and procedures applied during sample preparation, data acquisition and the processing of data
- Assist with and advise on sample preparation including robotic systems, with a focus on high-throughput liquid handling
- Be responsible for analytical validation to enhance PCB capabilities
- Develop novel methodologies and techniques to be applied in metabolic phenotyping and
stratified medicine to enhance the capabilities and capacity of the PCB
- Provide analytical chemistry training (UHPLC and mass spectrometer operation) within PCB, School and University.
- Work with the PCB Operations Manager and research grant holders to achieve the objectives of the PCB
- Contribute to the dissemination of high quality research in peer-reviewed journals, scientific conferences and to the general public
- Liaise with the PCB Operations Manager and research grant holders in managing the expectations of collaborators.