Research Director, Next Generation DNA Sequencing Biochemistries & Consumables Development
Permanent/Full time (Cambridgeshire, UK)
Highly competitive remuneration package to include company equity, annual bonus scheme, private healthcare and more
Illumina is seeking to appoint a Director with vision and experience to lead a team focused on developing and commercializing the sequencing biochemistries and consumables that power Illumina sequencing platforms such as HiSeq, MiSeq, NextSeq and MiniSeq. The successful candidate will combine impressive technical leadership, excellence in people management and commitment to the highest standards of program execution. They will have the ability to operate successfully, across time zones, within a highly collaborative and interdisciplinary Product Development team.
This is a rare opportunity to take a leadership role within the team of Scientists and Engineers that drive the development of the World’s leading sequencing technology. The role will be based in Chesterford, UK, and will report to the VP of Platform Assays and Reagents.
- Provide Technical Leadership & direction for a multi-site team developing new Sequencing Biochemistries with breakthrough performance, ease of use, reliability and robustness.
- Manage a global team comprising 20-30 Scientists ranging from highly experienced PhDs with management responsibilities to recently qualified graduates.
- Assume leadership roles on interdisciplinary project teams that are developing new platforms, consumables or infrastructure.
- Timely development of Next Generation Sequencing biochemistries, workflows, reagent kits and infrastructure within a structured product development process.
- Establish credibility and influence with peers and senior staff across the organization using clear, concise and authoritative written and oral communications. Collaborate effectively across departments, sites and time zones, fostering a culture of trust, openness and accountability.
- Mentor managers within the department and provide coaching to leaders within project teams from other departments.
- Manage departmental budgets & resource allocations and translate departmental strategies into staffing plans. Grow and evolve the team in response to the changing needs of the organization.
- Identify new capabilities, innovations, and technologies. Propose initiatives to implement new capabilities and lead, monitor and evaluate their success.